A Game Bird Propagation license authorizes the purchase, possession, propagation, sale, transportation and release of propagated upland game birds (except wild turkeys), migratory game birds and their eggs. A Game Bird Propagation license is also needed to train dogs with live pen raised upland game birds and migratory birds. Please review all the information below before submitting a Game Bird Propagation License application.
- A Game Bird Propagation License does not authorize the purchase, possession, propagation, sale transportation or release of wild turkeys.
- The sale of dead pen-raised quail for food is governed by the regulations of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
- The possession, sale and transfer of migratory game birds are subject to additional requirements contained in Title 50 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
- A Game Bird Propagation License must first be obtained before applying for a permit to import waterfowl into North Carolina. An application for an Importation Permit can be found here (Importation Permit Application).
- Waterfowl imported into North Carolina must be received from facilities or individuals who are certified under the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) as pullorum-typhoid and avian influenza negative. If the source birds are not part of NPIP, they must be tested pullorum-typhoid and avian influenza negative by NPIP standards within 30 days prior to entry into North Carolina. Health certificates for imported waterfowl shall be available for inspection by authorized Commission personnel upon request.
- Licenses are issued to a single individual, at least 18 years of age or older.
- This is an annual license that expires on December 31st of each year.
Download the current Game Bird Propagation License Rules:
15A NCAC 10H .0901-.0907 (PDF)
Fill out a completed Game Bird Propagation License application and submit to the Commission at the address below:
||North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
Division of Wildlife Management
1707 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1707
||1-888-248-6834 or 919 707- 0391
This license has a $5.00 application/renewal fee which may be paid by:
- Credit card over the phone (number listed below) during normal business hours Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm
- Check or money order payable to NC Wildlife Resources Commission.