Conserve & Protect
The Blog of N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission

Comments to Conserve & Protect blog site are encouraged.
The site is monitored and we ask that all comments:

• Be respectful and relevant.
  • Do not defame, threaten or otherwise violate the rights, such as privacy, of others.
  • Do not advertise or promote a product or service.
  • Do not violate any applicable laws or regulations, or promote unsafe or illegal actions.

**This is a monitored site and all comments are subject to public records law. Comments made after the close of business, on weekends and holidays will be posted the following work day.

View Blog

Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

Feb 6

Written by:
2/6/2012 12:24 PM  RssIcon

There are a variety of reasons the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission is proposing to make night hunting of feral hogs and coyotes legal in North Carolina, not the least of which is that feral hogs are a non-native species and coyotes are an invasive species that can be destructive to the landscape across the state.

And while hunting during daylight hours is one option, both species are very intelligent and adaptable.

“Hunting in daylight can be effective, but it teaches coyotes and swine, which are very intelligent animals, to just come out at night to avoid being hunted,” said Perry Sumner, a biologist and section manager with the Commission. “Plus, at night, it’s easier to spot them without them seeing you.”

Coyotes first made their appearance in eastern North Carolina in the 1980s because of illegal translocations and releases from outside of the state for the purpose of sport hunting with hounds.  By the early 1990s, they had become established in western counties due to natural range expansion from Tennessee, Georgia and South Carolina. By 2000, they had expanded to all 100 counties of North Carolina.

Coyotes are opportunistic feeders, and will eat birds, snakes, rodents and other small animals as well as insects such as grasshoppers. They also have a tendency to get into urban and suburban neighborhoods, where they will scavenge in garbage cans, prey on pets and get into pet food left outdoors.

“The night hunting might not have a direct effect on the coyotes getting into urban and suburban neighborhoods,” Sumner said. “What it will do, however, is teach them to avoid being around people, which will, in turn, teach them to avoid spending time in neighborhoods.”

The feral hog, or swine, is a different story altogether. The species was first introduced into North Carolina as domestic animals from Europe with the first European settlers by 1600. These swine were generally allowed to range free until the early 1960s when most were kept in confinement.  Eurasian wild boar were imported and released for hunting in western North Carolina in 1912. In the past 30 years, swine that resemble Eurasian wild boar as well as domestic pigs that have become feral have been released for hunting in various places in North Carolina and generally across the southeastern United States.

Feral swine are highly intelligent and adaptable.  Hogs reproduce quickly, and can do tremendous damage to crops, native plant and animal populations, and threaten commercial swine operations with transmittable diseases. They can locally decimate the fall acorn crop, leaving virtually none for other wildlife such as bear, turkey and white-tailed deer.

(Photo courtesy of the National Park Service)

28 comment(s) so far...

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

I am very pleased the wildlife resources commission is considering this for legislation. We have a tremendous problem with the feral hogs and coyotes here in North carolina. I think this is a great idea! Kudos to the ncwrc and all the hard work they put in so that we may enjoy our hunting and fishing heritage!

By Doy Newell on   2/6/2012 12:55 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

There will be some who will not allow any hunting of these animals on there property and because of this we will not be able to control these animals to the levels in which the WLRC want. We are seeing on pics that there is Hog's now in Hoke county.. the Coyotes have been a real problem for about 8 yrs hope we can manage the both for our small Deer Herd..

By Donald on   2/6/2012 12:55 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

After going thru an entire deer season of dealing with a wild hog population, I think this is a great idea. We had the worst deer season We have ever had in the area because of hogs!

By Ervin Johnson on   2/6/2012 1:11 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

Since electronic calls are now allowed for daylight hunting of coyotes and is proposed to be allowed when hunting them at night with lights, it would be best to allow the taking of hogs with the use of electronic calls as well. If not, then if someone takes a hog that happens to come to their electronic call while coyote hunting or even crow hunting, they would be breaking the law since the current law and the proposed law does not allow taking hogs with the use of an electronic call. No reason not to allow the taking of hogs with an electronic call.

By Tony Robinson on   2/7/2012 9:21 AM

Mr

I think this is an excellent idea as the coyotes have really worked on the deer population in my area. The only problem I see is unethical hunters using this as an opportunity to night hunt deer. I hope this will require a special permit and not be allowed during deer season.

By Michael Perry on   2/7/2012 9:21 AM

Hi folks,
We'd love for you to submit your comments through our online comment system, www.ncwildlife.org/ProposedRegulations.aspx, so we can make sure they get to the right people.

Thanks.

By NCWRC blogger on   2/7/2012 9:23 AM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

Me and my buddy got chased out of the woods by a pack of coyotes coonhunting in chatham county.I kill 6 this deer season.And I never seen the first deer yet.

By p.van on   2/8/2012 8:46 AM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

If you guys have any problem with hogs you should contact me ASAP. I will cut down the on the hog population. If you have any questions I can be reached on my mobile (352) 494-4108.

By Hog man on   2/15/2012 9:21 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

I think this is a great idea to control the coyotes. Deer population has really been on the down side this 2011 year. Electronic Calls should be allowed.

By wayne rink on   2/16/2012 8:27 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

I do not agree with the nighttime hunting of any animal being legalized. This will only open more doors for other animals being killed. The reason a lot of ethical hunters are not seeing the deer or bear they are accustomed to is because of night hunting driving the animals from their areas. There are not enough wildlife officers to curtail it as an illegal act let alone legalizing it,

By Wallace Williams on   2/28/2012 9:29 PM

By Wallace Williams on   2/28/2012 9:30 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

Mr. Williams, If people are going to break the law then they are going to do it regardless of whats legal or not. Texas allows night hunting of coyotes and feral hogs and they seem to have plenty of game still....

By Big Pard on   3/5/2012 9:02 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

The arguments above against the proposed light law is absurd, it is allready against the law to poach, it is not going to stop those allready doing it. More laws to stop allready illegal activity is not a valid or worthy effort of time or resources.

Allowing people the legal opportunity to decrease the coyote and pig population will have a more positive effect than the poaching plus inflated predator population.

It is pure numbers and common sense.

By Ken on   3/9/2012 10:35 AM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

I see it like this. We have a serious problem with the Coyotes in the north central Piedmont of North Carolina. I'm a land surveyor and spend a lot of time out in the field. I've seen what these APEX predators can do to small game, big game, and pets left outside to fend for themselves. Anytime, day or night, we have a chance to kill one of these killers...we had better do it. Any time, anyway, and anywhere should be the thought process for managing these predators. It may just be that the time has come to defend our livestock, game, and pets from these killers.Poaching of other big game species is not near a big a threat to our supply of game animals as the Coyote is.

By Richard Hinton on   3/15/2012 9:58 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

You can use electronic calls on both coyotes and Feral Hogs Legally. This is stated in the Regulations Digest. It is a bad idea if people are riding up and down the road @ night shooting threw fields and woods they are not familiar with. This aspect would pose a threat to the safety of people. Written Permission to shine and hunt property is a must. The safest way to hunt these animals @ night would be from a fixed location, deer stand, ground blind or elevated location to reduce the chances of injuring someone or shooting threw someone’s bedroom window. I think it is a good way to regulate these evasive species but we need to be smart about it.

By Catfish on   3/19/2012 2:57 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

Over the past three years I have shot 23 coyote's in my back yard. I was talking to a wildlife officer and he said I may need a permit. Do I and how do I get one?

By Oscar Clyde Wilson on   4/14/2012 9:33 PM

Mr. Wilson,

Can you email me your contact information at carolyn.rickard@ncwildlife.org? We'll have someone give you a call to answer your questions.

Thanks.

By NCWRC blogger on   4/16/2012 8:12 AM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

Well now what happens to the red wolves? Not many people can tell the difference btw the two during the day much less the night from 100 yds. away. USFWS has put over 25 yrs. of funding and effort into recovering the species and now they stand to take a heavy mortality if night time hunting is allowed in the five county recovery area. Keep in mind that human caused mortality already makes up most of the deaths of red wolves per year.

By Justin on   5/5/2012 9:42 AM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

if i hunt squirrels after the big game seasons have ended can i carry buckshot and slugs with me to shoot wild hogs and coyotes ?? how about a 357 pistol as a backup weapon when shooting them anytime ??

By scott t henry on   5/5/2012 10:02 PM

Mr. Henry,

Yes, you can carry buckshot and slugs. If you conceal carry the pistol, you must have the conceal carry permit.

By NCWRC blogger on   5/10/2012 8:20 AM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

Is there any news on the progress of the proposed night hunting laws for coyotes and feral hogs? I haven't heard anything recently.

By Big Pard on   5/18/2012 9:20 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

See here for the latest news: www.ncwildlife.org/News/NewsArticle/tabid/416/IndexID/7905/Default.aspx

By NCWRC blogger on   5/21/2012 8:37 AM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

Season must be set aside for feral hogs. If hog hunting at night is allowed during deer season or while deer still have antlers deer poaching will increase drastically!!!

Allow Hog hunting at night, just not while the deer have antlers.

By Patrick on   5/27/2012 1:05 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

It seems to me that if allowing night hunting for coyotes and feral hogs would increase the amount of deer shot at night then there should be plenty of data showing where this is happening in states that already allow it. Can anyone who opposes night hunting for this reason show where this is the case?

By Big Pard on   7/1/2012 12:04 AM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

In 60 years of hunting in N.C. never has the hunters I know confused the deer with the hogs or the coyotes! In the wide open daylight or at night with a light. It is very confusing HOWEVER, that some do not see how differently we humans are seen by the deer, the hogs and the coyotes. But some humans suffer delusions not recognizing these predators can see as well at night as we see in twilight for they see at night without a light we don't. The reason should be clear to most who can grasp the fact that these animals KNOW we can't see them at night. They even know their prey can't see at night as well as they see.
How do these predators race into and through the woods, thickets and swamps if they can't see their way. Before I knew better , once I tried just that. I ran headlong into ,I think it was, the first tree in the woods. My hound stopped, looked over at me as my flash light peeled back the darkness, there he stood looking at me as if to say, "Do you not know you can't do that," He knew I was blind in the dark? That hound dog new I could not see him; but he knew he could see me and I knew he could see me. That night I learned how to hunt at night. Deer, hogs, coyotes racoons, and such are much ,much smarter than you give them credit and it warms my heart to see my state wildlife commission give the predator hunters a even break. THANK YOU, NCWILDLIFE.ORG.

By EARL GRIFFIN on   8/6/2012 8:27 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

I would like to know where in western nc. can a handicapped person hunt for wild hogs without trying to walk myself to death? Stroke,many surguries,lung cancer, could anyone please HELP!!! THANX!!

By don witt on   10/31/2012 7:11 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

I cannot imagine life with out good hog hunting in Orlando Florida! It is the most ideal thing that can happen. I wish that it was easier to do. Thanks for sharing this information!

By Steven Jarris on   11/30/2012 5:37 PM

Re: Shedding Light on Night Hunting of Feral Hogs and Coyotes

I am a farmer in Durham who is looking for a fellow farmer who will let me hunt hogs on their property. Not deer or turkeys, just hogs. Even a hunting club who will allow hog hunting. I'm willing to pay for hogs harvested to help pay for corn used for bait or to help with club expenses. Please consider and give me a call. 919-225-4305. Or contact me on face book at waller family farm. Thanks and have a Blessed day!

By mark waller on   12/13/2012 7:19 AM

Your name:
Title:
Comment:
Add Comment   Cancel

Recent Entries

"Bama" Spotted Bass in Lake Norman?
The Importance of Hunter Mentors
Black Bears Rebound in State by Abbie Bennett
Blackpowder Hunting Clarified
The Monster Blue Cats of Lake Gaston
Prescribed Burns Explained
Shelley Lake Fawn Rescued by Linda Chamblee
“WIIW” Gone Wild!

Search Blog

You must be logged in and have permission to create or edit a blog.