Conserve & Protect
The Blog of N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission

Comments to Conserve & Protect blog site are encouraged.
The site is monitored and we ask that all comments:

• Be respectful and relevant.
  • Do not defame, threaten or otherwise violate the rights, such as privacy, of others.
  • Do not advertise or promote a product or service.
  • Do not violate any applicable laws or regulations, or promote unsafe or illegal actions.

**This is a monitored site and all comments are subject to public records law. Comments made after the close of business, on weekends and holidays will be posted the following work day.

View Blog

Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Jan 18

Written by:
1/18/2013 5:20 PM  RssIcon

Bald eagle watching is exciting any time of the year, but if you need some motivation to watch these majestic birds, we have it. January is National Bald Eagle Watch Month across the country.

North Carolina is now agood place to watch bald eagles, thanks to restoration projects begun in the early 1980s.

The Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Fund, through the North Carolina income tax check-off, helped fund the Wildlife Resources Commission’s first nongame wildlife biologist. One of the first conservation projects undertaken by the nongame wildlife biologist was restoring bald eagles at Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge in 1983.

Before 1982, North Carolina had no breeding pairs of bald eagles. Because of the eagle restoration work, and the expansion of eagle populations in neighboring states, North Carolina now has more than 125 nesting pairs.

Where to Look

The Commission offers eagle viewing opportunities at its wildlife observation platform at Jordan Lake, off Martha’s Chapel Road in Chatham County. The site has wetlands where observers can spot salamanders and frogs, and a platform jutting into the lake where wildlife watchers can view eagles, ducks and other birds.

The North Carolina Birding Trail can also offer some guidance on where to see eagles. Its database allows users to search for birding sites across North Carolina. Eagles have been spotted at Lake Raleigh, Blue Jay Point Park, Falls Lake and dozens of other places across the state.

You can also see eagles without leaving the house. The Jordan Lake EagleCam offers a real-time view of a nest at Jordan Lake.

How to Help

You can help North Carolina’s bald eagles by giving this tax season, or any time of year.

Funding for the Commission’s bald eagle research and management comes from the Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Fund, which supports wildlife research, conservation and management for animals that are not hunted and fished. Although tax check-off donations target projects benefiting nongame animals and their habitats, games pecies such as deer, turkey and bear also benefit because they share many of these same habitats.

North Carolinians can support this effort, as well as other nongame species research and management projects in North Carolina, by:

·       Donating through the Tax Check-off for Nongame and Endangered Wildlife on their N.C. State Income tax form;

·       Registering a vehicle or trailer with a N.C. Wildlife Conservation license plate.

·       Donating online at www.ncwildlife.org/give.

Photo courtesy of US Fish and Wildlife

59 comment(s) so far...

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a one in Jamesville today! This is in Martin County. Is this a first, or have Bald Eagles normallyin this area?

By Clinton Jackson, Jr. on   2/24/2013 11:31 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I don't think it's uncommon to see them there, but still really neat!

By NCWRC blogger on   2/25/2013 9:28 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We just spotted a mature adult in low flight by over our pond. He came up from the south and the crows were chasing him in a north easterly direction. We have had a female osprey and a few hawks stop over to bathe before, but this is a first to spot an eagle. --Oak Hill Township, Oxford, Granville County.

By S Ruble on   3/17/2013 2:10 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Bald eagle spotted today (4/10/13) around 8:30 am circling over the Mission Valley shopping center in Raleigh. I also saw one flying while I was driving on Tryon Road near Yates Mill Road, and it was headed towards Lake Johnson in Raleigh. It was the same time of day (I was headed to work). That sighting happened about two weeks ago.

By Kate P. on   4/10/2013 9:05 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Randolph County, Franklinville N.C. Hwy 22 south in between Grays Chapel and Franklinville. Lovely Bald Eagle flying over the road headed towards the foot hills..

By Jack Cobb III on   5/6/2013 5:56 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We have a pair of Bald Eagles and at least one Juvenile behind our house. Every day we see them fly overhead on their way to or from their nest. Their nest is in a wooded area beside a creek. This area is set to be logged in August. Are they allowed to log this area? We enjoy going on trail rides and getting to see these magnificent birds so close. I would hate to see anything happen to them.

By Concerned on   6/22/2013 12:15 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a bald eagle while kayaking on the Neuse River in Clayton North Carolina. What a majestic bird.

By G. Heppert on   7/29/2013 8:43 AM

By G. Heppert on   7/29/2013 8:44 AM

Lake Johnson Nature Park, Raleigh

I see them regularly at Lake Johnson Nature Park. I have quite a few pictures that I have taken of them - some I consider really good quality. During the winter months, I see (and photograph) both mature and young (head and tail feathers in some state of turning white). I don't know if the immature ones don't come around the lake during the summer - or I'm just not as good at spotting them with all the leaf cover.

By Tim on   10/10/2013 11:20 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We just spotted an adult bald eagle flying east over I-85N near Salisbury. We've seen them at Landsford Canal State Park (SC) where they have a nesting site, but never out in a more populated area like where we just saw this one. Breathtaking!

By Amy Plyler on   11/29/2013 12:34 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

i just saw a gorgous bald eagle on the side of 43 right out side new bern!!

By brandy on   12/25/2013 12:45 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen an Eagle flying over Us 1 on haw river . In the mourning 7:30 January 22, 2014

By Mark Guin on   1/23/2014 8:58 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw my first Bald Eagle 3-27-2014 in southeastern Sampson county near the Waycross community. Saw it fly across the road and pitched in a tree. Watch it for about 20-25 minutes!

By George Merritt on   3/28/2014 5:25 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My husband and I spotted a mature adult two weeks ago at the Catawba river in Mt Holly. It just happen to be flying by as we were fishing.

By Mrs. Tallent on   4/30/2014 11:13 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I was driving in James city BC next to new been one flew right in front of me never seen one in my life!!!

By destiny on   5/7/2014 9:25 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I think we have a pair nesting close to our house as I have seen a mature bird three times in the last three weeks. We live in Surry Co. and the Ararat river is right behind our house. I would like to verify that I am seeing what I think I am.

Thanks

By Travis Hayes on   5/12/2014 6:22 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I have photos of Bald Eagles and the newly fledged young at Randleman Reservoir just google Bald Eagles in Randolph County North Carolina. Also I would like to say that the Osprey have almost disappeared at the Reservoir, I am sure because of the Eagle competition.

By Floyd Austin on   6/9/2014 6:48 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I've seem them on three occasions in the past couple years. A few were flying around the lake Jordan area last year, then a month later saw some while fishing the uwharrie river in Montgomery county. This past weekend I saw one flying over the Yadkin river near east bend.

By justin on   6/10/2014 12:36 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Kayaking at Lake Raleigh and saw a male and female bald eagle. Absolutely amazing and beautiful!!

By Kim on   6/16/2014 6:32 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I just saw one catch a squirrel on Sandy Forks in north Raleigh 4-24-14, I was not expecting that.

By Chris on   8/24/2014 3:36 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a pair in Anson County on 9/14. Seemed to stop for a rest in a pine in my yard.

By Mary Lynn on   9/16/2014 7:03 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw one at Apex community park in Apex, right off Lake Pine road.

By Chris on   9/16/2014 7:14 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw an eagle flying yesterday in Seven Lakes West which is located in Moore County.

By Deborah Maples on   10/9/2014 9:04 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw one on 10/12/2014 in Scotland County(laurinburg).It landed in a bean field appeared to pickup something and flew up in the air circled a few times flew away.I still cannot believe it.

By Roy on   10/19/2014 11:06 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Had an adult that stayed around the house for about two weeks last year, would even perch in the trees behind the house. Saw another up the road just last Saturday. I'm in Deep Run NC which is in Lenoir County

By Shane on   10/20/2014 1:07 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen a bald eagle flying north on October 14, 2014 around 630pm over Hwy 421 (Forsyth County,just past Spear Bridge Rd) as I was driving home. He was flying low enough to where I could see his white head and yellow beak. Beautiful!!!!

By dmitchell on   10/24/2014 7:12 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a Bald Eagle today sitting in a soybean field that had just been harvested. On Hwy 601 about half way between Monroe, NC and the SC state line. The soybean harvesting was ongoing in another section of this field. I suspect the Eagle was taking advantage of rodents or rabbit being flushed from the field.

By Randy Walker on   11/9/2014 7:45 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Was fishing yesterday on Falls Lake just out of Wake Forest and was surprised to see two mature eagles flying along the shoreline. One of them took a dive towards the water for a fish and then they both disappeared out of sight. About an hour later saw another one fly by...could have been one of those I had seen earlier. Majestic and beautiful!

By Ron Brisson on   11/12/2014 10:50 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Driving down Hwy 74 just passed Whiteville, NC. Saw a beautiful eagle land pick something up out of the HWY. Then flew off and landed in a tree. As we drove by I was able to get a great view of this beautiful eagle. So cool!

By Tiffany & Tim on   11/27/2014 11:04 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Just saw one within a mile of the French Broad River in Buncombe County along Hwy 191, perched in a tree. 12/2/2014

By Joe-Ann McCoy on   12/5/2014 3:43 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw one about a month ago on my street, Bear Grass Rd., between Bear Grass and Williamston in Martin County, NC. I saw another one today (it's probably the same one) on my way home from Greenville, NC on HWY 903 (in a field, chowing down on a juicy rodent, I bet). I get all teary eyed when I see one and I'm glad to see them (or one) in my area.

By Andrea K. on   12/10/2014 2:49 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a bald eagle eating off a carcass in a field, middle of the day, just off a main road in Winston Salem. It flew up into nearby trees and we got a couple of pictures of it in flight. Such an impressive sight!

By Sara K on   12/21/2014 4:02 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I live in Harnett County in the Anderson Creek Community. I saw a Bald Eagle on my pond dam today. The eagle was going in and out of the water, I think the eagle was eating fish. The eagle was black and white, a pretty sight. I was able to take a few pictures. Hope to see the eagle again.

By Carl McDonald. 1-4-2015 on   1/4/2015 8:37 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My husband and I saw an adult bald eagle circling over Lake Auman, Seven Lakes West, on Tuesday, 1/6. Magnificent sight!

By Lois H on   1/8/2015 12:01 PM

We saw a bald eagle in Rolesville, NC on 1/15. AWESOME

By Lisa Hooker on   1/20/2015 11:52 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen two bald eagles on hwy 111 at the friendly Mart about 1.5 before you get to hwy70 in Goldsboro coming from Duplin County.

By Chad Wallace on   1/20/2015 10:28 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

There's a Bald Eagle hanging around in Lake Park, NC (in Union County). I've been watching it for 2 days now Jan,26&27,2015. I've put off all things to watch this beautiful bird.

By Barbara Nowlan on   1/27/2015 8:38 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Saw one several times today flying over my neighborhood near Pages Creek in New Hanover County.

By Marianne Wellman on   1/30/2015 1:37 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

ive been lucky enough to have seen two in the last month. about three weeks ago i witness one in full attack mode diving in a backyard off hwy 11 near Grifton exit heading north. Seen the second today on the north side city limits of La Grange standing in a picked cotton field look as if he was feeding

By Michael Holmes on   1/30/2015 7:55 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My husband seen one feeding on a dead deer off of St.John Church Road in LA Grange, NC. This is not far from Seven Springs.

By Melissa Kirven on   2/1/2015 8:37 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Had a surprise today after lunch, adult bald eagle eating something in the field next to our house, Clayton, NC - Johnston County, Guy Rd & Buckingham Subdivision, I guess not far from the Neuse River as the Crow/Eagle flies. We walked within 50 feet taken photos before it backed away. Came right back to his lunch after we gave him his space back, looked to be a small deer or dog that was hit by a car it was feeding on. A wonderful site.

By Tim and Denise Vann on   2/1/2015 3:36 PM

Just saw one flying over I40 in duplin county

By Bill hess on   2/8/2015 12:12 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I work at the local sewer treatment plant in Sneads Ferry. There was juvenile-looking bald eagle flying over the ponds a couple of weeks ago. Both myself and another co worker saw it on 2 different occasions.

By married 2 USMC on   2/15/2015 10:04 AM

Adult Bald Eagle spotted in Onslow County

My wife and I spotted an Adult Bald Eagle soaring about 100 feet above a large plowed field yesterday (2-15-2015) morning as we were driving down Ben Williams Rd. in Jacksonville, NC. We pulled off the road and watched it for a couple of minutes. As we went to pull away, it soared across the road in front of us. As it banked to turn back to the area it came from, the early morning sun brightly lit up the white on it's head and tail - oh what a beautiful creature. I am so thankful to have finally been fortunate enough to see these majestic birds make a comeback in our area - the first I have seen in my 59 years!

By Keith Bryan on   2/16/2015 10:56 AM

Adult Bald Eagle sighting in Onslow County

My wife and I observed an adult Bald Eagle on February 15, 2012, at 10:45 a.m., soaring over a plowed field on Ben Williams Rd. in Jacksonville, NC. We pulled over on the shoulder of the road and watched it fly for a couple minutes. As we were pulling back onto the road, the Eagle soared directly in front of our vehicle, then banked sharply to return to the field we originally spotted him over. When he banked, the early morning sun brightly illuminated the white feathers on it's head and tail... What a beautiful creature, and how wonderful it is to finally see them out in our county - my first sighting in 59 years!

By Keith Bryan on   2/27/2015 7:40 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I was on a back road in Holly Ridge and saw a bald eagle in the roadway while driving. As I came nearer, it flew to the side of the road carrying a small animal (not sure if it was road kill or had just been killed by the eagle). As I got even closer, the eagle took off carrying the animal across a wide field. Naturally I had someone tailgating me and I felt pushed along and wish I had the opportunity to spend more time watching this majestic bird. Fortunately, I live close by to this location and will be peering skyward more often for a while just in case...

By John Maiorano on   3/22/2015 2:16 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

There is a pair nesting on Piper Glen golf course, Charlotte --and they have 2 eaglets in the nest! Gorgeous!

By Susan Jones on   3/22/2015 8:41 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a bald eagle in mount holly nc over the south fork river.

By erik ralston on   3/31/2015 8:11 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My girlfriend & I seen the third Bald Eagle of the year earlier today in Albertson (Duplin Co.) on Piney Grove Rd.flying next to a group of buzzards, it's crazy how much bigger the eagle is.

By Chad Wallace on   3/31/2015 8:58 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I live just the other side park rd extension from Carolina place mall, charlotte nc. Watching out my back window of the house and saw a large bird shadow, assuming it was a vulcher, a lot around here, but I still stepped out on my deck to find maybe only 50ft above a Bald Eagle!!! My neighbor was at his house with about four others. "Was that a Bald EAGLE!!!???" I yelled in disbelief. Yes! We had just seen a bald Eagle here at my house in Charlotte. Crazy! Even crazier.... My neighbor had better vantage point..."there's three more!!!" Sure enough, soring above, THREE MORE!!! It was quite a fantastic day to have 4 bald eagles soring above my house, within city limits. :) this was back around 3/22/15.

By Rob Smith on   4/4/2015 8:03 AM

Re: Bald Eagle

I live in North Raleigh, NC and today was driving down Harps Mill Road, when a Bald Eagle soared over the top of the trees that lined the street. What a beautiful sight, I did not know Bald Eagles existed in Raleigh until I discovered this website.

With a gorgeous white head and white tail, without a care in the world, this amazing bird made my day!

Keep on coming

By Bobby Simpson on   4/4/2015 3:02 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a beautiful pair of Bald Eagles near Rumbling Bald Resort at the north end of Lake Lure on Monday, April 13th at about noon!! Looked like he and she.

By Jim Mitchell on   4/24/2015 9:32 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My family and I just seen a Bald Eagle on hwy 58 outside of Sandycross NC. Awesome bird!! My kids were so excited.

By Bryan Huff on   4/26/2015 2:16 PM

By Chad Wallace on   4/28/2015 8:43 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My son was driving on why 24/27 in Harnett County saw a large shadow parallel to the car had Bald Eagle flying over him

By Melanie on   5/11/2015 8:29 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I have noticed for the longest time a nest if you are heading on 24 towards Richlands after u cross the larger bridge over New River there is a smaller one to the right is the nest. I have seen birds there sitting on a limb in the tree but one day I pulled off to see the bird and when it turned it's head I saw that it was a adult Bald Eagle....Needless to say I will be watching it much closer from now on....

By Evelyn Garrett on   5/11/2015 8:06 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Just saw my first Bald Eagle in Northern Buncombe County!

By Micah Stowe on   8/10/2015 4:23 PM

Bald Eagles in WNC

Today 8/10/2015 at 4:40 my son in law, Micah Stowe, ask me to drive to the backside of our farm to help identify a large white headed, brown bodied, white tailed bird, with yellow claws and yellow beak. Our Bald Eagle waited in the tree top for me to make the 5 minute trip with binoculars in tow. Then allowed me to observe him for another 5 minutes before flying away. Absolutely beautiful!
Jim Barkley
2 miles west of Barnardsville, Buncombe County

By Jim Barkley on   8/10/2015 5:17 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

heard a hawk giving half screams and started to look up to see what and why and seen a wild sight and could not believe at first.. an eagle chasing a hawk in circles for at least 3 minutes then flies back west from where they first came from, the hawk made it away eastward. man that was wild. just knew I would see an eagle take down a hawk, but no. happened around 9:00 am in franklin county in between Louisburg and Castalia off of hwy 56

By dave on   8/19/2015 8:52 PM

Your name:
Title:
Comment:
Add Comment   Cancel

Recent Entries

Search Blog

You must be logged in and have permission to create or edit a blog.