Conserve & Protect
The Blog of N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission

Comments to Conserve & Protect blog site are encouraged.
The site is monitored and we ask that all comments:

• Be respectful and relevant.
  • Do not defame, threaten or otherwise violate the rights, such as privacy, of others.
  • Do not advertise or promote a product or service.
  • Do not violate any applicable laws or regulations, or promote unsafe or illegal actions.

**This is a monitored site and all comments are subject to public records law. Comments made after the close of business, on weekends and holidays will be posted the following work day.

View Blog

Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Jan 18

Written by:
1/18/2013 5:20 PM  RssIcon

Bald eagle watching is exciting any time of the year, but if you need some motivation to watch these majestic birds, we have it. January is National Bald Eagle Watch Month across the country.

North Carolina is now agood place to watch bald eagles, thanks to restoration projects begun in the early 1980s.

The Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Fund, through the North Carolina income tax check-off, helped fund the Wildlife Resources Commission’s first nongame wildlife biologist. One of the first conservation projects undertaken by the nongame wildlife biologist was restoring bald eagles at Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge in 1983.

Before 1982, North Carolina had no breeding pairs of bald eagles. Because of the eagle restoration work, and the expansion of eagle populations in neighboring states, North Carolina now has more than 125 nesting pairs.

Where to Look

The Commission offers eagle viewing opportunities at its wildlife observation platform at Jordan Lake, off Martha’s Chapel Road in Chatham County. The site has wetlands where observers can spot salamanders and frogs, and a platform jutting into the lake where wildlife watchers can view eagles, ducks and other birds.

The North Carolina Birding Trail can also offer some guidance on where to see eagles. Its database allows users to search for birding sites across North Carolina. Eagles have been spotted at Lake Raleigh, Blue Jay Point Park, Falls Lake and dozens of other places across the state.

You can also see eagles without leaving the house. The Jordan Lake EagleCam offers a real-time view of a nest at Jordan Lake.

How to Help

You can help North Carolina’s bald eagles by giving this tax season, or any time of year.

Funding for the Commission’s bald eagle research and management comes from the Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Fund, which supports wildlife research, conservation and management for animals that are not hunted and fished. Although tax check-off donations target projects benefiting nongame animals and their habitats, games pecies such as deer, turkey and bear also benefit because they share many of these same habitats.

North Carolinians can support this effort, as well as other nongame species research and management projects in North Carolina, by:

·       Donating through the Tax Check-off for Nongame and Endangered Wildlife on their N.C. State Income tax form;

·       Registering a vehicle or trailer with a N.C. Wildlife Conservation license plate.

·       Donating online at www.ncwildlife.org/give.

Photo courtesy of US Fish and Wildlife

104 comment(s) so far...

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a one in Jamesville today! This is in Martin County. Is this a first, or have Bald Eagles normallyin this area?

By Clinton Jackson, Jr. on   2/24/2013 11:31 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I don't think it's uncommon to see them there, but still really neat!

By NCWRC blogger on   2/25/2013 9:28 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We just spotted a mature adult in low flight by over our pond. He came up from the south and the crows were chasing him in a north easterly direction. We have had a female osprey and a few hawks stop over to bathe before, but this is a first to spot an eagle. --Oak Hill Township, Oxford, Granville County.

By S Ruble on   3/17/2013 2:10 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Bald eagle spotted today (4/10/13) around 8:30 am circling over the Mission Valley shopping center in Raleigh. I also saw one flying while I was driving on Tryon Road near Yates Mill Road, and it was headed towards Lake Johnson in Raleigh. It was the same time of day (I was headed to work). That sighting happened about two weeks ago.

By Kate P. on   4/10/2013 9:05 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Randolph County, Franklinville N.C. Hwy 22 south in between Grays Chapel and Franklinville. Lovely Bald Eagle flying over the road headed towards the foot hills..

By Jack Cobb III on   5/6/2013 5:56 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We have a pair of Bald Eagles and at least one Juvenile behind our house. Every day we see them fly overhead on their way to or from their nest. Their nest is in a wooded area beside a creek. This area is set to be logged in August. Are they allowed to log this area? We enjoy going on trail rides and getting to see these magnificent birds so close. I would hate to see anything happen to them.

By Concerned on   6/22/2013 12:15 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a bald eagle while kayaking on the Neuse River in Clayton North Carolina. What a majestic bird.

By G. Heppert on   7/29/2013 8:43 AM

By G. Heppert on   7/29/2013 8:44 AM

Lake Johnson Nature Park, Raleigh

I see them regularly at Lake Johnson Nature Park. I have quite a few pictures that I have taken of them - some I consider really good quality. During the winter months, I see (and photograph) both mature and young (head and tail feathers in some state of turning white). I don't know if the immature ones don't come around the lake during the summer - or I'm just not as good at spotting them with all the leaf cover.

By Tim on   10/10/2013 11:20 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We just spotted an adult bald eagle flying east over I-85N near Salisbury. We've seen them at Landsford Canal State Park (SC) where they have a nesting site, but never out in a more populated area like where we just saw this one. Breathtaking!

By Amy Plyler on   11/29/2013 12:34 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

i just saw a gorgous bald eagle on the side of 43 right out side new bern!!

By brandy on   12/25/2013 12:45 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen an Eagle flying over Us 1 on haw river . In the mourning 7:30 January 22, 2014

By Mark Guin on   1/23/2014 8:58 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw my first Bald Eagle 3-27-2014 in southeastern Sampson county near the Waycross community. Saw it fly across the road and pitched in a tree. Watch it for about 20-25 minutes!

By George Merritt on   3/28/2014 5:25 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My husband and I spotted a mature adult two weeks ago at the Catawba river in Mt Holly. It just happen to be flying by as we were fishing.

By Mrs. Tallent on   4/30/2014 11:13 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I was driving in James city BC next to new been one flew right in front of me never seen one in my life!!!

By destiny on   5/7/2014 9:25 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I think we have a pair nesting close to our house as I have seen a mature bird three times in the last three weeks. We live in Surry Co. and the Ararat river is right behind our house. I would like to verify that I am seeing what I think I am.

Thanks

By Travis Hayes on   5/12/2014 6:22 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I have photos of Bald Eagles and the newly fledged young at Randleman Reservoir just google Bald Eagles in Randolph County North Carolina. Also I would like to say that the Osprey have almost disappeared at the Reservoir, I am sure because of the Eagle competition.

By Floyd Austin on   6/9/2014 6:48 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I've seem them on three occasions in the past couple years. A few were flying around the lake Jordan area last year, then a month later saw some while fishing the uwharrie river in Montgomery county. This past weekend I saw one flying over the Yadkin river near east bend.

By justin on   6/10/2014 12:36 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Kayaking at Lake Raleigh and saw a male and female bald eagle. Absolutely amazing and beautiful!!

By Kim on   6/16/2014 6:32 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I just saw one catch a squirrel on Sandy Forks in north Raleigh 4-24-14, I was not expecting that.

By Chris on   8/24/2014 3:36 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a pair in Anson County on 9/14. Seemed to stop for a rest in a pine in my yard.

By Mary Lynn on   9/16/2014 7:03 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw one at Apex community park in Apex, right off Lake Pine road.

By Chris on   9/16/2014 7:14 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw an eagle flying yesterday in Seven Lakes West which is located in Moore County.

By Deborah Maples on   10/9/2014 9:04 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw one on 10/12/2014 in Scotland County(laurinburg).It landed in a bean field appeared to pickup something and flew up in the air circled a few times flew away.I still cannot believe it.

By Roy on   10/19/2014 11:06 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Had an adult that stayed around the house for about two weeks last year, would even perch in the trees behind the house. Saw another up the road just last Saturday. I'm in Deep Run NC which is in Lenoir County

By Shane on   10/20/2014 1:07 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen a bald eagle flying north on October 14, 2014 around 630pm over Hwy 421 (Forsyth County,just past Spear Bridge Rd) as I was driving home. He was flying low enough to where I could see his white head and yellow beak. Beautiful!!!!

By dmitchell on   10/24/2014 7:12 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a Bald Eagle today sitting in a soybean field that had just been harvested. On Hwy 601 about half way between Monroe, NC and the SC state line. The soybean harvesting was ongoing in another section of this field. I suspect the Eagle was taking advantage of rodents or rabbit being flushed from the field.

By Randy Walker on   11/9/2014 7:45 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Was fishing yesterday on Falls Lake just out of Wake Forest and was surprised to see two mature eagles flying along the shoreline. One of them took a dive towards the water for a fish and then they both disappeared out of sight. About an hour later saw another one fly by...could have been one of those I had seen earlier. Majestic and beautiful!

By Ron Brisson on   11/12/2014 10:50 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Driving down Hwy 74 just passed Whiteville, NC. Saw a beautiful eagle land pick something up out of the HWY. Then flew off and landed in a tree. As we drove by I was able to get a great view of this beautiful eagle. So cool!

By Tiffany & Tim on   11/27/2014 11:04 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Just saw one within a mile of the French Broad River in Buncombe County along Hwy 191, perched in a tree. 12/2/2014

By Joe-Ann McCoy on   12/5/2014 3:43 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw one about a month ago on my street, Bear Grass Rd., between Bear Grass and Williamston in Martin County, NC. I saw another one today (it's probably the same one) on my way home from Greenville, NC on HWY 903 (in a field, chowing down on a juicy rodent, I bet). I get all teary eyed when I see one and I'm glad to see them (or one) in my area.

By Andrea K. on   12/10/2014 2:49 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a bald eagle eating off a carcass in a field, middle of the day, just off a main road in Winston Salem. It flew up into nearby trees and we got a couple of pictures of it in flight. Such an impressive sight!

By Sara K on   12/21/2014 4:02 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I live in Harnett County in the Anderson Creek Community. I saw a Bald Eagle on my pond dam today. The eagle was going in and out of the water, I think the eagle was eating fish. The eagle was black and white, a pretty sight. I was able to take a few pictures. Hope to see the eagle again.

By Carl McDonald. 1-4-2015 on   1/4/2015 8:37 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My husband and I saw an adult bald eagle circling over Lake Auman, Seven Lakes West, on Tuesday, 1/6. Magnificent sight!

By Lois H on   1/8/2015 12:01 PM

We saw a bald eagle in Rolesville, NC on 1/15. AWESOME

By Lisa Hooker on   1/20/2015 11:52 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen two bald eagles on hwy 111 at the friendly Mart about 1.5 before you get to hwy70 in Goldsboro coming from Duplin County.

By Chad Wallace on   1/20/2015 10:28 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

There's a Bald Eagle hanging around in Lake Park, NC (in Union County). I've been watching it for 2 days now Jan,26&27,2015. I've put off all things to watch this beautiful bird.

By Barbara Nowlan on   1/27/2015 8:38 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Saw one several times today flying over my neighborhood near Pages Creek in New Hanover County.

By Marianne Wellman on   1/30/2015 1:37 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

ive been lucky enough to have seen two in the last month. about three weeks ago i witness one in full attack mode diving in a backyard off hwy 11 near Grifton exit heading north. Seen the second today on the north side city limits of La Grange standing in a picked cotton field look as if he was feeding

By Michael Holmes on   1/30/2015 7:55 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My husband seen one feeding on a dead deer off of St.John Church Road in LA Grange, NC. This is not far from Seven Springs.

By Melissa Kirven on   2/1/2015 8:37 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Had a surprise today after lunch, adult bald eagle eating something in the field next to our house, Clayton, NC - Johnston County, Guy Rd & Buckingham Subdivision, I guess not far from the Neuse River as the Crow/Eagle flies. We walked within 50 feet taken photos before it backed away. Came right back to his lunch after we gave him his space back, looked to be a small deer or dog that was hit by a car it was feeding on. A wonderful site.

By Tim and Denise Vann on   2/1/2015 3:36 PM

Just saw one flying over I40 in duplin county

By Bill hess on   2/8/2015 12:12 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I work at the local sewer treatment plant in Sneads Ferry. There was juvenile-looking bald eagle flying over the ponds a couple of weeks ago. Both myself and another co worker saw it on 2 different occasions.

By married 2 USMC on   2/15/2015 10:04 AM

Adult Bald Eagle spotted in Onslow County

My wife and I spotted an Adult Bald Eagle soaring about 100 feet above a large plowed field yesterday (2-15-2015) morning as we were driving down Ben Williams Rd. in Jacksonville, NC. We pulled off the road and watched it for a couple of minutes. As we went to pull away, it soared across the road in front of us. As it banked to turn back to the area it came from, the early morning sun brightly lit up the white on it's head and tail - oh what a beautiful creature. I am so thankful to have finally been fortunate enough to see these majestic birds make a comeback in our area - the first I have seen in my 59 years!

By Keith Bryan on   2/16/2015 10:56 AM

Adult Bald Eagle sighting in Onslow County

My wife and I observed an adult Bald Eagle on February 15, 2012, at 10:45 a.m., soaring over a plowed field on Ben Williams Rd. in Jacksonville, NC. We pulled over on the shoulder of the road and watched it fly for a couple minutes. As we were pulling back onto the road, the Eagle soared directly in front of our vehicle, then banked sharply to return to the field we originally spotted him over. When he banked, the early morning sun brightly illuminated the white feathers on it's head and tail... What a beautiful creature, and how wonderful it is to finally see them out in our county - my first sighting in 59 years!

By Keith Bryan on   2/27/2015 7:40 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I was on a back road in Holly Ridge and saw a bald eagle in the roadway while driving. As I came nearer, it flew to the side of the road carrying a small animal (not sure if it was road kill or had just been killed by the eagle). As I got even closer, the eagle took off carrying the animal across a wide field. Naturally I had someone tailgating me and I felt pushed along and wish I had the opportunity to spend more time watching this majestic bird. Fortunately, I live close by to this location and will be peering skyward more often for a while just in case...

By John Maiorano on   3/22/2015 2:16 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

There is a pair nesting on Piper Glen golf course, Charlotte --and they have 2 eaglets in the nest! Gorgeous!

By Susan Jones on   3/22/2015 8:41 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a bald eagle in mount holly nc over the south fork river.

By erik ralston on   3/31/2015 8:11 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My girlfriend & I seen the third Bald Eagle of the year earlier today in Albertson (Duplin Co.) on Piney Grove Rd.flying next to a group of buzzards, it's crazy how much bigger the eagle is.

By Chad Wallace on   3/31/2015 8:58 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I live just the other side park rd extension from Carolina place mall, charlotte nc. Watching out my back window of the house and saw a large bird shadow, assuming it was a vulcher, a lot around here, but I still stepped out on my deck to find maybe only 50ft above a Bald Eagle!!! My neighbor was at his house with about four others. "Was that a Bald EAGLE!!!???" I yelled in disbelief. Yes! We had just seen a bald Eagle here at my house in Charlotte. Crazy! Even crazier.... My neighbor had better vantage point..."there's three more!!!" Sure enough, soring above, THREE MORE!!! It was quite a fantastic day to have 4 bald eagles soring above my house, within city limits. :) this was back around 3/22/15.

By Rob Smith on   4/4/2015 8:03 AM

Re: Bald Eagle

I live in North Raleigh, NC and today was driving down Harps Mill Road, when a Bald Eagle soared over the top of the trees that lined the street. What a beautiful sight, I did not know Bald Eagles existed in Raleigh until I discovered this website.

With a gorgeous white head and white tail, without a care in the world, this amazing bird made my day!

Keep on coming

By Bobby Simpson on   4/4/2015 3:02 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a beautiful pair of Bald Eagles near Rumbling Bald Resort at the north end of Lake Lure on Monday, April 13th at about noon!! Looked like he and she.

By Jim Mitchell on   4/24/2015 9:32 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My family and I just seen a Bald Eagle on hwy 58 outside of Sandycross NC. Awesome bird!! My kids were so excited.

By Bryan Huff on   4/26/2015 2:16 PM

By Chad Wallace on   4/28/2015 8:43 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My son was driving on why 24/27 in Harnett County saw a large shadow parallel to the car had Bald Eagle flying over him

By Melanie on   5/11/2015 8:29 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I have noticed for the longest time a nest if you are heading on 24 towards Richlands after u cross the larger bridge over New River there is a smaller one to the right is the nest. I have seen birds there sitting on a limb in the tree but one day I pulled off to see the bird and when it turned it's head I saw that it was a adult Bald Eagle....Needless to say I will be watching it much closer from now on....

By Evelyn Garrett on   5/11/2015 8:06 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Just saw my first Bald Eagle in Northern Buncombe County!

By Micah Stowe on   8/10/2015 4:23 PM

Bald Eagles in WNC

Today 8/10/2015 at 4:40 my son in law, Micah Stowe, ask me to drive to the backside of our farm to help identify a large white headed, brown bodied, white tailed bird, with yellow claws and yellow beak. Our Bald Eagle waited in the tree top for me to make the 5 minute trip with binoculars in tow. Then allowed me to observe him for another 5 minutes before flying away. Absolutely beautiful!
Jim Barkley
2 miles west of Barnardsville, Buncombe County

By Jim Barkley on   8/10/2015 5:17 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

heard a hawk giving half screams and started to look up to see what and why and seen a wild sight and could not believe at first.. an eagle chasing a hawk in circles for at least 3 minutes then flies back west from where they first came from, the hawk made it away eastward. man that was wild. just knew I would see an eagle take down a hawk, but no. happened around 9:00 am in franklin county in between Louisburg and Castalia off of hwy 56

By dave on   8/19/2015 8:52 PM

Finally: Bald Eagle Sighted at Eagle Point Nature Reserve, High Rock Lake

An adult Bald Eagle was observed this morning flying along the shore and perched in a tree. As we approached that direction - still far off - it took off again and went out into the lake. I have been hiking in Eagle Point Nature Reserve at least once a week for three years and this is the first time I have seen one.

By Heather Burns on   8/29/2015 5:29 PM

Bald Eagle in Whispering Pines

My son spotted a bald eagle from our front window perching on a stump in our fish pond. Was there just long enough for me to get one picture before he flew across the road toward the neighbor's horse farm. Majestic and really large adult. Very exciting!

By Robin Bickford on   9/25/2015 12:28 PM

Bald Eagle in Whispering Pines

Whispering Pines NC Moore County off Airport Road.

By Robin Bickford on   9/25/2015 12:29 PM

Re: Bald Eagle in Yadkin County

As I was mowing the grass in Sept 24 th, I spotted a bald eagle circling overhead in the Center community of Yadkin County. I had observed this magnificent bird at Jordan Reservoir and Randleman Reservoir but never at my home near the intersection of Center rd and Whitaker Rd. This eagle was being harassed by crows as others have reported in their sightings. I was so excited and wondered if it was using Hampton Lake at the recently opened Yadkin Memorial Park. I hope so as this park is only a 5 minute drive from my home.

By Tony Carter on   9/27/2015 2:18 PM

Bald Eagle near Piper Glen, Charlotte

I was so excited to see a beautiful bald eagle riding the thermals near Hwy 51 and Rea Rd. This was my first baldie sighting in Charlotte city limits.

By Alexis Arnold on   10/13/2015 4:22 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a Bald Eagle flying above the trees while driving to Murphy, NC at the intersection of Hwy 64 and Hwy 129.

By Tom Murphy on   10/16/2015 4:11 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

So excited to see a bald eagle soaring over hwy 51 near Rea road in Charlotte this morning! I had no idea we had them here! Very cool!

By Leta Caulder on   10/19/2015 3:28 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My husband and I saw a bald eagle flying above the New River in Ashe County in the little town of Todd, NC yesterday. It was beautiful. Hoping for another siting. Oct. 19, 2015

By Donna Kelly on   10/20/2015 5:23 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Spotted another beauty today. He/she was flying over the tar river bridge on the 264 bypass around Greenville. He/she had sticks, vines, or some kind of nest building materials in the talons.

By Michael Holmes on   10/26/2015 7:12 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Saw one on Lansing Hill outside the town of Lansing NC. It sat for a long time in trees around the old Johnny McNeil house. Oct. 28, 2015

By Dave Mikeal on   10/29/2015 6:36 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Saw one on Lansing Hill outside the town of Lansing, NC Oct 28, 2015. It sat in trees for a long time beside the house that was Johnny McNeil's near the top of Lansing Hill.

By Dave Mikeal on   10/29/2015 6:38 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I seen a single bald eagle flying over the road just outside Beulaville in Duplin County

By Dwaine Jarman on   11/6/2015 7:57 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We been seeing one a couple of days now feeding. Also saw him fly over Beulaville

By Randy on   11/19/2015 3:28 PM

Been seeing one feed a couple days now, also flying over Beulaville toward 111

By Randy on   11/19/2015 3:31 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My husband and I saw an Eagle on the Ivy Bluffs Trail in East Bend NC this morning. It flew from the trees and out over the Yadkin River. Wasn't lucky enough to get picture.

By Patsy Cockerham on   12/5/2015 1:46 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Just saw one this morning on New Town Road in Wesley Chapel, Union County! I had no idea they were even in NC. It was eating something in the middle of the road, then flew off as I approached in my car. Huge brown body, long white tail feathers, bright white head. I was grateful!

By Scott Hilborn on   12/5/2015 2:15 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I was deer hunting this past weekend in the Bethel community of Watauga county on our land. About 3:30 on Friday Dec 4th a large Bald eagle flew above the tree tops and circled the area for maybe 5 minutes. Saw no deer but Bald eagle sighting made my day.

By Mark Abbott on   12/7/2015 11:13 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Just saw one flying over Starbucks at Piper Glen (Charlotte). Even took a photo of it!

By Vali Sorell on   12/7/2015 5:14 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Almost hit a huge bald eagle on Carmel Road near Blanchards on 12/11/2015. I was flying low trying to get something in the median. Unbelievable event!

By JAmes on   12/12/2015 10:38 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a bald eagle eating a fish on the bank of Ramapo Lake in Seven Lakes North (Moore County) this morning. What a surprise!

By Beth Cadieu on   12/17/2015 3:29 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen a large male on lee layne rd in Ramseur nc today at 4pm just up the road from my house. He was about 10 ft off the road and flew off as soon as I stopped to look at him but not before he screamed and I got a few grainy pictures in the rain. First one I've seen out here!!! I know they are at Jordan lake but even I'm a little far out for them to look for food.

By Mike on   12/28/2015 4:13 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen a beautiful bald eagle by my house this morning. Right off McLaren Rd by Rives Chapel Church Rd in Siler City NC. It was soooo pretty. I was wondering who I can contact to see about getting his habitat protected around here due to people cutting down alot of trees along the roads near here. If anyone can help please let me know. They are such beautiful birds and we all need to do our part to protect them from extinction!!!! My name is Kendra Glosson and join me to help the beautiful bald eagles in Chatham County!

By Kendra Glosson on   1/10/2016 9:16 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Saw Bald Eagle on 1/8/16 near the intersection of Bonaventure and Bayshore around 2 in the afternoon near Pages Creek. Appeared to be hunting in an newly cleared section of Marsh Oaks.

By Melissa Frizzelle on   1/11/2016 10:40 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a bald eagle in Randolph, NC. In HWY 42 S in between Little beane store road and moffit road. Today at 1030am

By yomaree S cortes on   1/12/2016 11:13 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

There has been sightings at W Kerr Scott in Wilkes. I have a few photos of them actually that a friend took.

By Jeff Hartley on   1/19/2016 12:47 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I live in Pitt County. Carolina Classic catfish farm is near my house. I go out and photograph the Eagles almost every day. I have thousands of shots of them feeding and nesting. This farm seems to have an extremely large number of Eagles.

By Irene Cannon on   1/20/2016 2:50 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Ms. Cannon, we have heard about the large number of eagles at that location. Here is a link to an article about it printed in the Greenville Daily Reflector a few years ago:

By NCWRC blogger on   1/20/2016 2:53 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Saw an immature Bald Eagle on Chapel Hill rd (nc-55) in Raleigh today. I noticed him in flight (about 15-20ft high) flying across the road. then perched in a tree. I really like large birds, not just birds of prey but also geese. and I initially from 100 yards away thought it was a Canada goose (to which I wondered why it was around here this time of year if not injured) but that thought immediately went away when I saw the bird perch into a tree at full speed. the size of the wingspan was also larger than a Canada goose and the coloring was mottled brown and white. as I drove past I went slow and it took me a second to spot him in the tree (the immature ones are basically camouflaged) but once I did I saw the most massive eagle staring at me. the unmistakable yellow beak and the brown/white mottled feathers. it was unreal, and if I hadn't been going back to work I would have stopped to watch. this was around 5pm on a cold January day.

By Thomas Pollock on   1/22/2016 3:22 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I could hardly believe it when I spotted one last week a half mile from my house in the vicinity of Bridgeton. I was driving home and saw it just sitting in a field. I slowed to look for as long as I could and would have parked right there in the road for a photo but for the vehicle behind me. I considered waving the driver around, but just then it took flight. Glorious to see! First one I've seen in real life.

By Kim on   1/23/2016 12:51 PM

Re: sighting today

Around noon today 1/31/16, driving north on I-85 toward Durham from Hillsborough..right at exit for 147... I saw a large, mature BALD EAGLE flair down toward the pavement for prey. I startled me so much I almost drove off the road... watching it rise up to the trees on the south side of the road. The contrast of the white head and tail feathers against the darkness of the trees was confirming. It was clearly a Bald Eagle. I have seen many in my life but this one surprised me more than any other. Very exciting ! Hope this report is useful in some way to your research. Bill Whitmore in Hillsborough NC

By Bill Whitmore on   1/31/2016 9:29 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I work in a very small town called Stella, which runs along the White Oak River. I was on my lunch break when I passed not 1, but 2 bald eagles out in a field feeding. Since I was headed into town to run to the bank, I didn't have time to stop. I hoped that they would still be there when I returned, and they were. I spooked them when I pulled off the side of the road to observe them, but one returned to continue feeding. I have never seen one with my own eyes before, and today I saw two. What an amazing sight!

By Kim Swoger on   2/2/2016 1:56 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Saw an adult feeding on the side of the road in Sharpsburg. Got a great view of the snow white head and the triangle shape white tail feathers on back as it lifted off the ground as we came near. I had one solid black eagle take down a small bird in my front yard. It had yellow talons and beak. Chest hair light with small spots. Beautiful...took my breath away!!!

By Mary G.Barnes on   2/22/2016 4:43 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Saw one a few days ago over Quail Corners shopping center in South Charlotte, NC. No doubt about it. Pretty large.

By Stephanie Kraska on   2/23/2016 4:13 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw one today 2/23/2016 In Elizabeth City NC ,I have not seen on here In the 50 years Ive been here.

By Dianna on   2/24/2016 2:36 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I live near Morrow Mountain state park and had a visit from an immature eagle this morning. He sat in an oak tree by my pond long enough for me to get a good look with binoculars! No doubt the highlight of my day!

By J.S. Curtis on   3/21/2016 8:39 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Good morning, while on my way to church this morning. My children and I saw an bald eagle flying on w t Harris near albemarle road. I was so excited along with my children. We even captured a picture of it. That is the first time I have seen one in the wild.

By B moore on   4/3/2016 3:36 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

On Thurs Mar 31 and Sun Apr 3, 2016 we saw an adult bald eagle in the same area. Both sightings while driving on Hwy 17 near Elizabeth City just south of the prison. The first time it was flying, the second it was perched way up on an electric pole. Unmistakable!

By Renate on   4/3/2016 3:58 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Not sure if I keep seeing the same one but there has been one from time to time appear around the Lake Junaluska area in Haywood Co. Once it even flew up our cove one afternoon. It was huge. My last sighting was on 12-31-15 off NC209 over the Pigeon River between Lake Junaluska and I-40 exit 24.

By C. Allison on   4/14/2016 9:32 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We spotted an adult bald eagle yesterday 4/24/16 flying down river over the Jacob Fork river in Catawba County between 127 Bridge and Finger Bridge. It was flying down river, made a turn in front of us, then headed back up river. It was totally unexpected and beautiful!

By R. Miller on   4/25/2016 8:57 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Saw a pair of large bald eagles over a span of 2 days while staying at Bullocksville State Park campground on Ker Lake. Majestic! And their sounds are very distinc.

By Brian D on   5/9/2016 7:19 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I've spotted a young bald eagle swooping over the new pond at the intersection of Patetown Rd and Tommy's Rd just 2 miles north of Goldsboro. I stopped and took video of him but the light at dusk makes it hard to see the distinct white head and tail.

By Brian D on   5/9/2016 7:22 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

A bald eagle was spotted by my husband and father-in-law by the pond out back, in Burke County (Hickory/Rhodehiss), North Carolina.

By Jessica S. on   5/9/2016 10:53 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

A bald eagle was spotted yesterday near a pond in Hickory, North Carolina, Burke County.

By Jessica S. on   5/9/2016 12:47 PM

By Jessica S. on   5/9/2016 12:49 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a Bald Eagle yesterday 5/14/2016 while driving on Highway 74 in Ash County, heading towards Lumberton, North Carolina It was being chased by a smaller bird and kept flying parallel with us along the highway. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

By Gaynell on   5/15/2016 7:31 PM

Your name:
Title:
Comment:
Add Comment   Cancel

Recent Entries

Trout Stream Designations Explained
Fanfare Opening for New Foothills Shooting Range
River Birds of North Carolina
Enter Now for a Chance to Win a Fishing Trip of a Lifetime
Yellow Perch Fishing In January by Bob Daw
Prescribed Burns Benefit Wildlife and their Habitats
Alligator Hunting Proposal

Search Blog

You must be logged in and have permission to create or edit a blog.