Conserve & Protect
The Blog of N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission

Comments to Conserve & Protect blog site are encouraged.
The site is monitored and we ask that all comments:

• Be respectful and relevant.
  • Do not defame, threaten or otherwise violate the rights, such as privacy, of others.
  • Do not advertise or promote a product or service.
  • Do not violate any applicable laws or regulations, or promote unsafe or illegal actions.

**This is a monitored site and all comments are subject to public records law. Comments made after the close of business, on weekends and holidays will be posted the following work day.

View Blog

Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Jan 18

Written by:
1/18/2013 5:20 PM  RssIcon

Bald eagle watching is exciting any time of the year, but if you need some motivation to watch these majestic birds, we have it. January is National Bald Eagle Watch Month across the country.

North Carolina is now agood place to watch bald eagles, thanks to restoration projects begun in the early 1980s.

The Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Fund, through the North Carolina income tax check-off, helped fund the Wildlife Resources Commission’s first nongame wildlife biologist. One of the first conservation projects undertaken by the nongame wildlife biologist was restoring bald eagles at Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge in 1983.

Before 1982, North Carolina had no breeding pairs of bald eagles. Because of the eagle restoration work, and the expansion of eagle populations in neighboring states, North Carolina now has more than 125 nesting pairs.

Where to Look

The Commission offers eagle viewing opportunities at its wildlife observation platform at Jordan Lake, off Martha’s Chapel Road in Chatham County. The site has wetlands where observers can spot salamanders and frogs, and a platform jutting into the lake where wildlife watchers can view eagles, ducks and other birds.

The North Carolina Birding Trail can also offer some guidance on where to see eagles. Its database allows users to search for birding sites across North Carolina. Eagles have been spotted at Lake Raleigh, Blue Jay Point Park, Falls Lake and dozens of other places across the state.

You can also see eagles without leaving the house. The Jordan Lake EagleCam offers a real-time view of a nest at Jordan Lake.

How to Help

You can help North Carolina’s bald eagles by giving this tax season, or any time of year.

Funding for the Commission’s bald eagle research and management comes from the Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Fund, which supports wildlife research, conservation and management for animals that are not hunted and fished. Although tax check-off donations target projects benefiting nongame animals and their habitats, games pecies such as deer, turkey and bear also benefit because they share many of these same habitats.

North Carolinians can support this effort, as well as other nongame species research and management projects in North Carolina, by:

·       Donating through the Tax Check-off for Nongame and Endangered Wildlife on their N.C. State Income tax form;

·       Registering a vehicle or trailer with a N.C. Wildlife Conservation license plate.

·       Donating online at www.ncwildlife.org/give.

Photo courtesy of US Fish and Wildlife

29 comment(s) so far...

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a one in Jamesville today! This is in Martin County. Is this a first, or have Bald Eagles normallyin this area?

By Clinton Jackson, Jr. on   2/24/2013 11:31 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I don't think it's uncommon to see them there, but still really neat!

By NCWRC blogger on   2/25/2013 9:28 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We just spotted a mature adult in low flight by over our pond. He came up from the south and the crows were chasing him in a north easterly direction. We have had a female osprey and a few hawks stop over to bathe before, but this is a first to spot an eagle. --Oak Hill Township, Oxford, Granville County.

By S Ruble on   3/17/2013 2:10 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Bald eagle spotted today (4/10/13) around 8:30 am circling over the Mission Valley shopping center in Raleigh. I also saw one flying while I was driving on Tryon Road near Yates Mill Road, and it was headed towards Lake Johnson in Raleigh. It was the same time of day (I was headed to work). That sighting happened about two weeks ago.

By Kate P. on   4/10/2013 9:05 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Randolph County, Franklinville N.C. Hwy 22 south in between Grays Chapel and Franklinville. Lovely Bald Eagle flying over the road headed towards the foot hills..

By Jack Cobb III on   5/6/2013 5:56 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We have a pair of Bald Eagles and at least one Juvenile behind our house. Every day we see them fly overhead on their way to or from their nest. Their nest is in a wooded area beside a creek. This area is set to be logged in August. Are they allowed to log this area? We enjoy going on trail rides and getting to see these magnificent birds so close. I would hate to see anything happen to them.

By Concerned on   6/22/2013 12:15 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a bald eagle while kayaking on the Neuse River in Clayton North Carolina. What a majestic bird.

By G. Heppert on   7/29/2013 8:43 AM

By G. Heppert on   7/29/2013 8:44 AM

Lake Johnson Nature Park, Raleigh

I see them regularly at Lake Johnson Nature Park. I have quite a few pictures that I have taken of them - some I consider really good quality. During the winter months, I see (and photograph) both mature and young (head and tail feathers in some state of turning white). I don't know if the immature ones don't come around the lake during the summer - or I'm just not as good at spotting them with all the leaf cover.

By Tim on   10/10/2013 11:20 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We just spotted an adult bald eagle flying east over I-85N near Salisbury. We've seen them at Landsford Canal State Park (SC) where they have a nesting site, but never out in a more populated area like where we just saw this one. Breathtaking!

By Amy Plyler on   11/29/2013 12:34 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

i just saw a gorgous bald eagle on the side of 43 right out side new bern!!

By brandy on   12/25/2013 12:45 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen an Eagle flying over Us 1 on haw river . In the mourning 7:30 January 22, 2014

By Mark Guin on   1/23/2014 8:58 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw my first Bald Eagle 3-27-2014 in southeastern Sampson county near the Waycross community. Saw it fly across the road and pitched in a tree. Watch it for about 20-25 minutes!

By George Merritt on   3/28/2014 5:25 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

My husband and I spotted a mature adult two weeks ago at the Catawba river in Mt Holly. It just happen to be flying by as we were fishing.

By Mrs. Tallent on   4/30/2014 11:13 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I was driving in James city BC next to new been one flew right in front of me never seen one in my life!!!

By destiny on   5/7/2014 9:25 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I think we have a pair nesting close to our house as I have seen a mature bird three times in the last three weeks. We live in Surry Co. and the Ararat river is right behind our house. I would like to verify that I am seeing what I think I am.

Thanks

By Travis Hayes on   5/12/2014 6:22 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I have photos of Bald Eagles and the newly fledged young at Randleman Reservoir just google Bald Eagles in Randolph County North Carolina. Also I would like to say that the Osprey have almost disappeared at the Reservoir, I am sure because of the Eagle competition.

By Floyd Austin on   6/9/2014 6:48 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I've seem them on three occasions in the past couple years. A few were flying around the lake Jordan area last year, then a month later saw some while fishing the uwharrie river in Montgomery county. This past weekend I saw one flying over the Yadkin river near east bend.

By justin on   6/10/2014 12:36 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Kayaking at Lake Raleigh and saw a male and female bald eagle. Absolutely amazing and beautiful!!

By Kim on   6/16/2014 6:32 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I just saw one catch a squirrel on Sandy Forks in north Raleigh 4-24-14, I was not expecting that.

By Chris on   8/24/2014 3:36 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw a pair in Anson County on 9/14. Seemed to stop for a rest in a pine in my yard.

By Mary Lynn on   9/16/2014 7:03 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw one at Apex community park in Apex, right off Lake Pine road.

By Chris on   9/16/2014 7:14 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw an eagle flying yesterday in Seven Lakes West which is located in Moore County.

By Deborah Maples on   10/9/2014 9:04 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

I saw one on 10/12/2014 in Scotland County(laurinburg).It landed in a bean field appeared to pickup something and flew up in the air circled a few times flew away.I still cannot believe it.

By Roy on   10/19/2014 11:06 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Had an adult that stayed around the house for about two weeks last year, would even perch in the trees behind the house. Saw another up the road just last Saturday. I'm in Deep Run NC which is in Lenoir County

By Shane on   10/20/2014 1:07 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Seen a bald eagle flying north on October 14, 2014 around 630pm over Hwy 421 (Forsyth County,just past Spear Bridge Rd) as I was driving home. He was flying low enough to where I could see his white head and yellow beak. Beautiful!!!!

By dmitchell on   10/24/2014 7:12 AM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

We saw a Bald Eagle today sitting in a soybean field that had just been harvested. On Hwy 601 about half way between Monroe, NC and the SC state line. The soybean harvesting was ongoing in another section of this field. I suspect the Eagle was taking advantage of rodents or rabbit being flushed from the field.

By Randy Walker on   11/9/2014 7:45 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Was fishing yesterday on Falls Lake just out of Wake Forest and was surprised to see two mature eagles flying along the shoreline. One of them took a dive towards the water for a fish and then they both disappeared out of sight. About an hour later saw another one fly by...could have been one of those I had seen earlier. Majestic and beautiful!

By Ron Brisson on   11/12/2014 10:50 PM

Re: Get Your Eagle Eyes Ready

Driving down Hwy 74 just passed Whiteville, NC. Saw a beautiful eagle land pick something up out of the HWY. Then flew off and landed in a tree. As we drove by I was able to get a great view of this beautiful eagle. So cool!

By Tiffany & Tim on   11/27/2014 11:04 AM

Your name:
Title:
Comment:
Add Comment   Cancel

Recent Entries

Search Blog

You must be logged in and have permission to create or edit a blog.