on Sep 24, 2013 12:34 PM • Views 14838
Media Contact: Geoff Cantrell

RALEIGH, N.C. (Sept. 24, 2013) – Fee increases and changes in vessel registration and titling resulting from the N.C. General Assembly’s passage of Senate Bill 402 will go into effect Oct. 1, the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission announced today.

The new fees for registering and titling a vessel in North Carolina will be:

  • 1-Year Registration Fees:

Vessels less than 26 feet                    $30    

Vessels 26 feet or greater                   $50

  • 3-Year Registration Fees:

Vessels less than 26 feet                    $90

Vessels 26 feet or greater                   $150

  • Titling Fees:

New or Transfer Title                            $30

Two other vessel registration changes will take effect Oct. 1 as well. The first change will require an owner of a vessel documented with the U.S. Coast Guard to register the vessel in North Carolina if the vessel is in the state for more than 90 consecutive days. Federal law prohibits documented vessels from being titled in North Carolina.

The second change eliminates the free, one-year vessel registration renewal for those who have a commercial fishing license. To renew a vessel registration, commercial fishing license owners will pay the normal rate, which is based on the vessel length.

The fee increases were the result of recent legislation passed by the N.C. General Assembly as part of the state budget act, section 14.22 of Senate Bill 402. The law established the new registration fees and requires the Wildlife Resources Commission to transfer 50 percent of fees to the New Shallow Draft Navigation Channel and Lake Dredging Fund.

“The General Assembly recognized a need to find funding to maintain and dredge shallow draft inlets and navigation channels — many of which have historically been maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers,” said Wildlife Resources Commission Executive Director Gordon Myers. “Over the past 15 years, these federal funds have been reduced or eliminated and other states and local governments have created similar funding sources to maintain their waterways due to the decrease in federal funds. The funds can be used for dredging in coastal and inland waters and any local government applying for the funds has to provide a 50 percent match.”

For additional information about vessel registration and titling, call the Commission at 1-800-628-3773 or visit www.ncwildlife.org/vesselregistration.