What is a big game harvest report card?

Reporting big game harvests is a requirement in North Carolina. Hunters should carry a copy of their Big Game Harvest Report Card with them while hunting deer, bear and wild turkey. Hunters have 2 Big Game Harvest Report Card options: 1) a traditional paper version (example below), or 2) an electronic version on their Go Outdoors North Carolina App. Upon harvesting and before moving the big game animal, hunters are required to immediately validate (punch out) the corresponding day and month on the paper or electronic report card.  Hunters using the paper option should retain only one copy of their report card.  Hunters using the Go Outdoors North Carolina App can validate and register the harvest in the same step, either with or without Internet service.


Example of paper Big Game Harvest Report Card option:



A hunter must report the kill BEFORE any of the following occur:

  • The animal is skinned or dismembered;
  • The animal is left unattended by the successful hunter;
  • The animal is placed in possession of another person; or
  • 12 p.m. (noon) the day following the harvest.


Hunters can report using the following methods:

  • By using the Go Outdoors North Carolina App (does not require Internet service)
  • Going online, and clicking on "Report Harvest" (requires Internet service)
  • Calling 800-I-GOT-ONE (800-446-8663)
  • Visiting a participating Wildlife Service Agent.


The Big Game Harvest Report Card no longer contains a Harvest ID number located above each harvest authorization line. Hunters will just be required to select the appropriate tage type when reporting a harvest. When reporting, the hunter will be asked a series of questions associated with their harvest. At the end of the reporting process, the hunter will receive an authorization number which should be recorded on the appropriate line on the Big Game Harvest Report Card and is required to legally posses the harvest.

Each Big Game Harvest Report Card is valid for only one hunting season, July 1 through June 30. If your hunting license is still valid after the report card expires on June 30th, you may obtain a replenishment card.  Big Game Report Cards can be obtained at no cost, but active big game hunting license privileges are required.  Please note that a $5 transaction fee may be applied to your total order. Big Game Harvest Report Cards can be obtained by either:


Hunters, regardless of age, shall carry a valid Big Game Harvest Report Card with them while hunting deer, bear, or wild turkey. Youth less than 16 years old are required to have their own report card whether it be issued as part of their lifetime license or as a license-exempt report card. Youth should never report their big game harvest on a parent or other adult's report card. All others exempt from the hunting license requirement should also obtain and carry a license-exempt report card when hunting big game. License-exempt Big Game Harvest Report Cards can be obtained at a wildlife service agent ($5 fee) or by calling 833-950-0575 (no fee). License-exempt report cards are not available online.