North Carolina Lifetime Licenses

When you purchase a lifetime license from the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, you are investing in the future of fish and wildlife, as well as their habitats, in the Tar Heel state. That's because the money generated from the sale of lifetime licenses, along with their associated fees, goes into a special fund, called the North Carolina Wildlife Endowment Fund.  

The endowment fund for wildlife was a simple yet revolutionary idea: Create a lifetime inland fishing or hunting license. Put the license fees into a special fund. Spend the accrued interest, not the principal, on programs and projects that benefit fish and wildlife.

The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission has spent more than $50 million in interest on programs and projects since the endowment fund’s inception in 1981.

Lifetime License Information


There are several types of lifetime licenses that may be purchased. The lifetime sportsman and lifetime comprehensive hunting licenses include the state waterfowl privilege. The lifetime comprehensive hunting and lifetime comprehensive inland fishing licenses are sold only to residents of North Carolina. Nonresidents may purchase the nonresident sportsman’s license. There are no residency restrictions when purchasing the infant and youth licenses. You may also give a lifetime license as a gift. Simply complete the donor information on the application and the license will be mailed directly to you. All lifetime licenses are good for life. Even if you move out of North Carolina, you may use the license anytime you return to the state.

Personalize Your Lifetime License - When purchasing a license, it may be personalized for an additional $5.00. There are up to six spaces for a special number or name. For example, you may use a birth date (062855), (JU2855), initials (C.R.R.), or a nickname (Jack). You also have twenty-one spaces for a personal message. For example, Happy First Birthday, Love Mom and Dad or Enjoy the Outdoors.

Purchase Your Lifetime License


Lifetime licenses can be purchased at your local wildlife service agent, online (with a few exceptions*), by calling 888-248-6834, or by mail from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. A $2 transaction fee as mandated by NCGS 113-270.1B may apply at time of license purchase.

*Exceptions: Due to documentation requirements, Infant, Youth, and Disabled Lifetime Licenses cannot be purchased online. Infant and Youth Licenses can be applied for at any wildlife service agent, by mail, or in person with the Commission. Infant and youth applications must be received at NCWRC Headquarters or processed at a Wildlife Service Agent the day before the child turns 1 or 12 years of age.  Applications received on or after the child’s 1st or 12th birthday CANNOT be processed as an infant or youth license.  A copy of the birth certificate must accompany applications for infant and youth licenses.  Disabled Licenses and Volunteer Firefighter Licenses can only be applied for by mail and in person. Applications are available under Forms & Applications. See top right column under Quick Reference for Forms & Applications.

Give a Gift that Lasts Forever: Make a Tax-Deductible Contribution Directly to the N.C. Wildlife Endowment Fund


You may make a tax deductible contribution directly to the N.C. Wildlife Endowment Fund or designate the Fund as a beneficiary of a bequest through your will or living trust. When making a memorial contribution, include the name and address of the person(s) making the donation as well as the name of the person(s) for whom the donation is being made.  A card will be sent to the donor of the contribution.