Wildlife Import/Export Permit


A Wildlife Import/Export permit is required to transport native wild birds or wild animals (except coyote as noted in License Restrictions/Conditions) in and out of the state of North Carolina.

Permit Restrictions, Rules and Conditions


It is unlawful for any individual to import any coyote into North Carolina.

It is also unlawful for any individual to import any species of Tongueless or African Clawed Frogs (Xenopus spp.), Brown Anoles (Anolis sagrei), Cuban Tree Frogs (Osteopilus septentrionalis), Red-eared Sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans), Asian Newts (Cynops, Pachytriton, Paramesotriton, Laotriton, Tylititriton), Argentine Black and White Tegu (Salvator merianae or Tupinambis merianae),  Greenhouse Frog ( Eleutherodactlyus planirostris) unless the individual has a Restricted Species Permit authorizing such activity issued by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission (NCWRC).

A permit must be obtained from the NCDA&CS State Veterinarian before importing any of the following animals into North Carolina: skunk; fox; raccoon; ringtail; bobcat; other North and South American felines such as lynx, cougars, jaguars, etc.; marten; brushtail possum. Permits shall be issued only if the animal(s) will be used in a research institute, exhibition by a USDA-licensed exhibitor or organized entertainment as in zoos or circuses.

The importation of gray foxes is prohibited in the following North Carolina counties: Anson, Avery, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Catawba, Cleveland, Davidson, Gaston, Lincoln, McDowell, Mecklenburg, Mitchell, Montgomery, Moore, Richmond, Rowan, Rutherford, Stanly, Union, and Yancey.

Deer, Elk, and other species in the family Cervidae may not be imported into North Carolina unless the individual that is requesting the importation/ exportation permit has a valid Captive Cervid license and has obtained Certified Herd Status.

Camelids, bison, and other bovidae other than domestic cattle may be imported into North Carolina if accompanied by an official health certificate issued by a licensed, accredited veterinarian, as defined in 02 NCAC 52B .0401, which states that all animals 6 months of age or older have tested negative for brucellosis within 30 days prior to importation; all animals 6 months of age or older have tested negative for tuberculosis within 60 days prior to importation; the herd of origin has had no brucellosis or tuberculosis diagnosed within the past 12 months. However, these requirements do not apply to llamas, vicunas, alpacas, and guanacos from other states that are tuberculosis Accredited-Free and brucellosis Certified-Free, when accompanied by an official health certificate.

Waterfowl imported into North Carolina must be received from facilities or individuals who are certified under the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) as being negative for pullorum-typhoid (P-T) and avian influenza. If the source is not a part of NPIP, they must be tested negative by the NPIP standard within 30 days prior to transport.

Any species or a hybrid of an animal not otherwise covered in the Administrative Code that is found to exist in the wild or naturally occurs in the wild must be accompanied by a valid certificate of veterinary inspection.

Health certificates for any species should be on hand and ready for inspection by authorized Commission personnel upon request.

Permits are issued to a single individual 18 years of age or older.

Import/Export permits are authorized for a specified time frame that the applicant indicates on the Wildlife Import/Export Permit Application. If more time is needed, another application must be filled out and submitted to the NCWRC.

Download the current Wildlife Import/Export Rules from the North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings:

How to Obtain a Permit

Complete an online application at Go Outdoors North Carolina. Once your online application has been submitted, the appropriate staff will review the application. If your application is approved, you will receive an approval email with a link to purchase the permit. You must purchase the approved permit within 30 days of approval. This permit has a $10 permit fee plus a $5.00 transaction fee payable by a Visa or MasterCard. All permit fees are non-refundable.


Contact Information


Address:   North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission 
Customer Service Section
1707 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1700
 Phone: 833-950-0575
 Fax: 919-707-0292