North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

What kind of license do I need?

This depends on the type of activity that you plan to do and also if you live in the state of North Carolina.

  • Do you plan to hunt, trap and/or fish (in coastal or inland waters) in North Carolina?
  • How often would you participate in these activities this year?
  • Are you a resident or non-resident of North Carolina?
These are some of the questions that may help determine which license is best suited for you. For example, if you live outside of North Carolina and plan to make only one fishing trip to the state, then a non-resident, short-term license may be your best option. If you are resident and plan to hunt, fish and use the public Game Lands, then a resident Sportsman license may be your best option. Please review License Residents Guide and License Nonresidents Guide to determine the license that meets your needs.