Country Park Manager Larry Barham has a new fishing pier, a fish feeder and free loaner fishing tackle available for anglers who want to try their luck on Lake Lindley in Country Park.
Media Contact: Jodie B. Owen, Public Information Officer
GREENSBORO, N.C. (Sept. 28, 2011) – The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission recently partnered with the Greensboro Parks and Recreation Department to construct a universally accessible fishing pier on Lake Lindley in Country Park.
The floating, T-shaped pier features an 8-foot wide walkway and extends 91 feet into the water, ending with an 11’ x 48’ platform. The pier also features three benches and incorporates seven low handrail sections to make it easier for children and anglers in wheelchairs to cast their lines.
To enhance fishing opportunities on the 6-acre lake, Commission staff installed a floating, solar-powered fish feeder within casting distance of the new pier. They also stock catchable-sized channel catfish every month from April through September to supplement existing bass and sunfish fishery.
The fishing pier, floating fish feeder and channel catfish stockings are features of the Commission’s Community Fishing Program, a cooperative venture between the Wildlife Resources Commission and local governments to improve fishing opportunities in city and county parks. The Commission will pay for 75 percent of the fishing pier, fish feeder, catfish stockings and fish feed through the Sport Fish Restoration program, while Greensboro Parks and Recreation will pay the remaining 25 percent.
“The Community Fishing Program allows parks to stretch their budgets by cost-sharing amenities, such as monthly stockings of catfish, installation of fish feeders and construction of fishing piers like the one we built at Country Park,” said Bobby Glenn Kimbrell, a fisheries development technician with the Commission’s Division of Inland Fisheries. “With greater densities of fish in the lake and better access to the fish, Country Park is more than just a park; it’s a fishing destination for anyone who wants to reel in a nice catch.”
Along with the new fishing pier, Country Park offers visitors BarkPark, an off-leash dog park, another fishing lake, nature, hiking and biking trails and eight picnic shelters. It is located at 3905 Nathanael Green Drive and is open from 8 a.m. until dusk, weather permitting.
For more information about Country Park, contact Greensboro Parks and Recreation, or call 336-373-3648.
For more information on the Community Fishing Program or fishing in public, inland waters, visit www.ncwildlife.org/fishing, or call 919-707-0220.