CLEMMONS, N.C. (Dec. 9, 2011) – The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission recently partnered with Clemmons to construct a new handicapped-accessible fishing pier on Village Point Lake in Forsyth County.
Personnel from Clemmons and the Commission constructed the floating, T-shaped pier on the 7-acre lake in mid-October. The pier, which is 59 feet long with a 48-foot wide T-section at the end, incorporates benches and low, angled handrail sections that allow barrier-free access for children and anglers confined to wheelchairs.
Commission staff recently stocked the lake, which was refilled earlier this summer, with bluegill and redear sunfish fingerlings to jumpstart the fishery, and a stocking of largemouth bass fingerlings is planned for summer 2012. In 2013 when the fingerlings have had at least one year to grow, Commission staff will begin stocking harvestable-sized channel catfish in the lake on a monthly basis from April through September each year. They also will install a floating fish feeder within easy casting distance of the pier.
The pier, feeder and monthly stockings of catfish are part of the Commission’s Community Fishing Program, a cooperative venture between the Wildlife Resources Commission and local governments to improve fishing opportunities in city and county parks. Through this program, the Commission will pay 75 percent of the cost of the fishing pier, fish feeder, catfish stockings and fish feed with funding from the Sport Fish Restoration program, while Clemmons will pay the remaining 25 percent.
Next spring, Clemmons will construct an 8-foot wide greenway along the perimeter of the lake that will provide easier access to the pier. In addition to the access provided by the greenway, a universally accessible parking pad for handicapped anglers will be constructed near the pier.
“Because Village Point Lake was only refilled in summer 2011, anglers shouldn’t expect to enjoy good catches until 2013, when the bass and sunfish fingerlings have had a chance to grow and the monthly stockings of harvestable-sized catfish have begun,” said Fisheries Biologist Kin Hodges. “The Community Fishing Program allows parks to provide better fishing opportunities for visitors because park staff can stretch their budgets by cost-sharing piers, fish feeders and monthly catfish stockings.
“While it’s a win-win situation for Clemmons and the Wildlife Commission, it’s the park visitors who benefit the most from these cost-sharing endeavors.”
For more information on fishing in public, inland waters, visit www.ncwildlife.org/fishing.