BREVARD, N.C. (March 3, 2014) — The N.C.Wildlife Resources Commission is offering several outdoors-related clinics in March through its Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education, located near Brevard in Transylvania County.
All events are free and require pre-registration on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Nature Nuts: Bobcats – March 12, March 21, 9-11 a.m. For 4-7 years old. Join staff in exploring the world of bobcats while learning about their life cycle, habitat needs and more.
- Eco Explorers: Casting – March 12, March 21, 1-3 p.m. For 8-13 years old. Enjoy an afternoon learning the fundamentals of casting a fly rod. Equipment and materials are provided. Limited to 8 participants.
- Introduction to Fly Fishing – March 5 and March 19, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Ages 12 and older. Come for a day of fun while learning the basics of fly fishing. Topics include equipment, knots and casting techniques. Equipment and materials provided. Bring a lunch. Limited to 6 participants.
- Fly Fishing: Tuckasegee River – March 6, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Ages 12 and older. Spend a morning with experienced fly-fishing instructors as we fish the delayed harvest section of the Tuckasegee River. Equipment and materials provided. Bring a lunch. Limited to 6 participants.
- Casting: Level I – March 11, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Ages 12 and older. Take an introductory class on various casting techniques, with experienced instructors assisting students to learn at their own pace. This class is held at Lake Imaging in DuPont State Recreational Forest. All equipment and materials are provided. Bring a lunch.
- Hunter Education Certification – March 18-20, 6–9:30 p.m. Hunter education instruction covers safety, conservation, wildlife identification, survival and first aid in a three-day course. There are no minimum age requirements, but classes are taught at a sixth-grade level and tests must be completed without assistance. Attendees must be present all three days.
- Archery – March 27, 10-11:30 a.m. Ages 12 and older. An introductory class on the basics of archery. Topics include safety, proper shooting technique and equipment overview. All equipment and materials are provided.
- Pellet Rifle Shooting Range – March 27, 1-2:30 p.m. Ages 8-15. Take an introductory class on the basics of shooting. Topics include safety, proper shooting technique and equipment overview. All equipment and materials are provided.
For more information, call 828-877-4423 or sign up online.
The Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education is located near Brevard, just south of Asheville, alongside the Davidson River in Transylvania County. The center features nature trails and five large aquariums representing different aquatic habitats.Visitors to the center also can walk next door to the Bobby N. Setzer Fish Hatchery, where trout are raised in 54 raceways. The center’s hours of operation through March are Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m.-4:45 p.m.
For more information on the four learning centers operated by the Wildlife Commission and other activities and events, visit www.ncwildlife.org/enjoying.