North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

Latest News & Events


Wildlife Commission Uses FEMA Funds to Rebuild Hurricane-Affected Water Control Barriers and Spillways

  • 11 August 2017
  • Number of views: 1081

RALEIGH, N.C. (Aug. 11, 2017) – Three engineering projects being conducted by the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission received a boost on July 31 when the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and State Emergency Management agreed to obligate more than $7.1 million in project funding. The projects, which were all affected by Hurricane Matthew in 2016, include Rhodes Pond Dam and Jessup’s Mill Pond Dam in Cumberland County and the White Oak Impoundment in Onslow County.

“We’re fortunate to be able to move forward with these projects,” said David Varel, the Commission’s capital projects coordinator. “We will receive 75 percent of the $7.1 million FEMA obligation from federal funds and the remaining 25 percent will be matched by the state.”

The bulk of the FEMA funds will go towards the Rhodes Pond Dam project, which includes a complete redesign that aims to help prevent flooding issues stemming from the Black River. The new dam will also help improve habitat for area wildlife and provide more outdoor recreation opportunities for the public. The project, which will cost around $8.7 million, received a $6.3 million obligation from FEMA and State Emergency Management. The remaining $2.4 million will be funded by the Commission and a Pittman Robertson grant.

The new design is intended to gain more control over the flow of water and limit the potential for flooding on I-95 and U.S. 301. Commission engineers are hopeful that the project will be completed by the end of 2018.

During Hurricane Matthew, Jessup’s Mill Pond was overrun by floodwaters and the water control structure sustained extensive damage, leading to widespread flooding on N.C. 53. The restoration project will add a new emergency spillway to the pond, which should help alleviate the potential for flooding in the future. The project, which will cost $735,149, received a full funding obligation from FEMA and State Emergency Management.

The dike at the White Oak Impoundment was washed away during the hurricane. The project, which will replace the dike for $43,500, also received a full funding obligation from FEMA and State Emergency Management.

The Commission is working with McGill Associates, an engineering firm, and Duck’s Unlimited to help complete these three FEMA-supported projects.

Media Contact:

Ryan Kennemur
919-707-0186
ryan.kennemur@ncwildlife.org

Print
Categories: Home, News, Rhodes Pond

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message:
x

News Archives