Boating Access Area Event Permits


N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission issues fishing tournament weigh-in and special use permits for each NCWRC Boating Access Area (BAA) to ensure that only allowable activities occur and that multiple large events do not occur at any site, thereby helping to manage congestion and user accessibility. These permits are issued at no fee.


 BAA Permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Permits will be issued when the requested boat numbers are less than 80% of a requested BAA's trailer space capacity except between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Applications received between Memorial Day and Labor Day permits will be issued when the boat numbers are less than 60% of a requested BAA's trailer space capacity. All tournaments require a BAA permit regardless of the number of boats.  Permit applications must be submitted online and at least ten days in advance.


Permits will not be issued for the following holiday weekends: Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Labor Day.

We will no longer issue blanket permits (L15). You must apply for each event date.


Special Use Permit applications are issued for activities other than fishing tournaments, such as tents, construction, and triathlons, which are issued on a case-by-case basis. Permit applications must be submitted online and at least ten days in advance. 


All groups should be aware that these permits do not reserve a BAA, and the site will remain available to other boaters and anglers.

Permits are issued with the following conditions:

  • The tournament or other special use must not interfere with the area's intended use.
  • The permitted activity should not block the ramps or disrupt area use.
  • NCWRC promotes the "Pack it in, Pack it out" mission, meaning that the permit recipient must remove all litter generated at the site by event participants.
  • The permit must be available on-site during the event for inspection by Wildlife Enforcement Officers.
  • NCWRC does not allow selling goods, materials, or services at any BAA.

If you have questions about permits, please call 919-707-0150.

  Request A Tournament Weigh-in or Special Use Permit Online
  Look Up Your Permit Online


  Look Up Tournaments In Your Area


Angler's Resources