Permit Description

An Amphibian and Reptile Possession permit is required for the possession, importation, transportation, purchase and sale of 25 or more individuals of any combination of native amphibians and/or five or more individuals of any combination of native reptiles.


Last Revised on 11/24/15

Permit Restrictions, Rules, and Conditions

It is unlawful for any individual to import, transport, export, purchase, possess or sell any species of Tongueless or African Clawed Frogs (Xenopus spp.), Brown Anoles (Anolis sagrei), Cuban Tree Frogs (Osteopilus septentrionalis), Red-eared Sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans), Asian Newts (Cynops, Pachytriton, Paramesotriton, Laotriton, Tylititriton)  unless the individual has a Restricted Species Permit authorizing such activity issued by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission.

An Amphibian and Reptile Possession permit does not authorize the collection of any wildlife resources from the wild. If you wish to collect native amphibians or reptiles, you must apply for a Wildlife Collection License

An Amphibian and Reptile Possession permit will not be issued for: 

    1.) Holding reptiles and amphibians that were acquired unlawfully 

    2.) Holding reptiles and amphibians for unlawful sale or trade 

    3.) Collection of five or more individual native turtles from the families Emydidae or Trionychidae from the wild in a given year except those exempted in 15A NCAC 10H .1301 (c).

An Amphibian and Reptile Possession permit will not be issued to any person who is found to be in violation of any Collection License, Endangered Species Permit, or Possession permit requirements.

Each individual who obtains An Amphibian and Reptile Possession permit must submit a written report, listing all specimens possessed, post-marked within 15 days following the expiration of the permit as instructed in 15A NCAC 10H .1302 (e). (Amphibian and Reptile Possession Report Form)

Permits are issued to a single individual at least 18 years of age or older.

Amphibian and Reptile Possession permits are valid from January 1st through December 31st of each year. 

Download the current Amphibian and Reptile Possession Rules from North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings:


How to Obtain Permit

Fill out a completed Amphibian and Reptile Possession Application and submit to the Commission address listed at the bottom of the application form. This license has a $10.00 application/renewal fee which may be paid by: 

  • To pay by credit card over the phone, call 1-888-248-6834 during normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm).
  • To pay by check or money order, make payable to NC Wildlife Resources Commission.
All permit fees are non-refundable.

Download the Permit Forms

Permit Contact Information


Address:   North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission 
Customer Service Section
1707 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1700
 Phone: 1-888-248-6834 or  919 707- 0391
 Fax: 919-707-0292