1. Required for PWC operators 14 years of age up to 16 years of age. No person under 14 years of age may operate a PWC. Persons 14 to 16 years of age may also operate without a boating education certificate if physically accompanied on the PWC by an adult at least 18 years of age and meets the requirements of G.S. 16.2 .
2. On or after May 1, 2010 any person under the age of 26 must complete a NASBLA approved boating education course before operating any vessel propelled by a motor of 10 HP or greater. G.S. 75A-16.2
3. Those on personal watercraft (PWCs) must wear an approved personal flotation device (life jacket) at all times.
4.Children under 13 years of age must wear an approved life jacket while underway. **
5. Safety kill switch lanyard must be attached to operator.
6. Required on inboards and stern drives only.
7. Required only when boating on federally controlled waters.
8. Certain items are not applicable to PWCs because PWCs are not allowed to operate between sunset and sunrise.
9. Safety kill switch and lanyard not required but recommended.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files.
Definition of underway.