Have a Wildlife Problem?

If you have a question, click on the appropriate tab below to find an answer or to submit a question to the appropriate NCWRC representative for a response.

Find Assistance with Wildlife Problems

Click on the links below to find assistance with wildlife:


Can't find an answer about a wildlife problem?

Call the Commission's Wildlife Helpline at 866-318-2401.

Injured /Orphaned Wildlife

Contact a Wildlife Rehabilitator

There are volunteers across the state that are trained and licensed to rehabilitate wild animals until the animal can be released back into their natural habitat. Rehabilitators dedicate their time and money to caring for orphaned and injured animals; before contacting someone, be sure the animal needs assistance by considering the information below.

For injured deer or black bear please contact the NC Wildlife Helpline at 866-318-2401 (Mon-Fri. 8 am- 5 pm) or the Wildlife Enforcement Division at 800-662-7137 outside of business hours.

Is it injured?

  1. If the animal is able to move on its own, then it’s not injured. Best thing to do is just leave it alone.
  2. If it’s still alive and just not moving, then it’s still not necessarily injured. Certain species have a tendency to become very still when they think they're threatened or cornered. The best thing to do is leave it alone for at least 24 hours and allow it to move on its own.
  3. If it is obviously injured and is not one of the high risk for rabies listed above, then go to the bottom of this section to search for a Wildlife Rehabilitator in your county.

Is the animal orphaned?

  1. Just because a young animal is alone and the adult cannot be seen doesn’t mean the animal is orphaned. Many juvenile animals are left alone by the adult for long periods of times or merely have fallen out of their nest. Since it’s always best to give the adults the opportunity to re-establish contact and take care of their own offspring, a good rule of thumb is to leave it alone for 24 to 48 hours to determine if parent will return.
  2. If the dead adult is found close by to the young animal and is not one of the high risk for rabies listed above, then go to the bottom of this section to search for a Wildlife Rehabilitator in your county. 


Find rehabilitators in your county by selecting from the drop-down list below.

POP-UP REMINDER NOTE - When a county is selected, the page will open in a new window and sometimes be recognized as a pop-up page.  On some devices and browsers, pop-ups must be enabled for the drop down menu to function properly. For information on how to enable pop-ups, see browser or mobile device documentation on how to enable pop-ups.



Contact a Fawn Rehabilitator

It is common to find fawns left alone for long periods of time by the doe (the female parent). The doe knows when to return and will not do so if humans are around. The best thing you can do if you find a fawn is leave it alone for 24 hours or put it back where it was found, unless it is truly injured or orphaned. Even if it is injured or orphaned, it is okay to put it back or leave it alone.

If you are truly concerned that the fawn is injured or orphaned, but not sure, read the following:

Is it injured?

  1. If the fawn is able to move on its own then it’s likely not injured. Best thing to do is just leave it alone.
  2. If the fawn is not moving, but still very young, then it’s likely not injured. Very young fawns (for the first 2 to 3 weeks of age) by instinct do not move. They may lie perfectly still even if they are out in the middle of an open area. This is an instinct to protect them from predators. The mother licks the fawn to reduce any scent that could attract a predator. Best thing to do is just leave it alone.
  3. If the fawn is unable to move from the site where found then go to the bottom of this section to find a Fawn Rehabilitator near you.

View the list below to contact a permitted fawn rehabilitator:

Fawn Rehabilitator Contact List, Sorted by County (PDF)

Is the animal orphaned?

  1. Just because the fawn is alone and the parent cannot be seen, doesn’t mean the fawn is orphaned. As stated before, fawns are left alone by the doe for long periods of times. A good rule of thumb is to leave the fawn completely alone for 24 hours to determine if the parent is not returning.
  2. After leaving it completely alone for 24 hours, and the fawn is in the same location, clearly distressed and bleating (crying) loudly, then go to the bottom of this section to find a Fawn Rehabilitator near you.
  3. If the dead parent is found close by the baby, then go to the bottom of this section to find a Fawn Rehabilitator near you.

View the list below to contact a permitted fawn rehabilitator:

Other Contacts

  • You may also contact your local veterinarian for the name of a rehabilitator in the area, or to ask if they would be willing to help.
  • You can also call the Wildlife Permits and License Office at (888) 248-6834 or Wildlife Enforcement Communications at (919) 707-0040 to obtain the name and telephone number of a licensed wildlife rehabilitator in your area.
  • Injured Deer or Black Bear
    The Wildlife Enforcement Division should be called in the case of injured deer or black bear at 1-800-662-7137, or (919) 707-0040 for Wake County.
  • Injured Endangered/Threatened Species
    If the injured animal can be identified as an endangered or threatened species, contact the Wildlife Enforcement Division at 1-800-662-7137, or (919) 707-0040 or the US Fish and Wildlife Service at (919) 856-4786

Sick /Diseased Wildlife


  • All mammals have the potential to contract rabies, but even in populations of high-risk rabies vector species, the virus is rare and most individuals are not infected. The following species are considered high-risk rabies vectors: bats and all wild carnivores such as foxes, raccoons, skunks, bears, bobcats, coyotes, mink, otters, and weasels. Species that have a low potential for rabies transmission are livestock, rabbits, rodents, squirrels, groundhogs, beaver, muskrats, chipmunks, and opossums. Opossums and small rodents rarely get rabies. Birds, reptiles (snakes, turtles, and lizards) and amphibians (frogs, toads, and salamanders) never contract or transmit rabies.

  • If a potential rabies exposure to a person or pet occurs (direct physical contact with one of the species listed above), the person should immediately contact their family physician or the County Health Department for further guidance and possible treatment. Testing for rabies requires that the animal be euthanized and the brain tested for the virus. Health department officials will determine if this action is necessary and coordinate pick up of animal.

  • If exposure has not occurred, public health officials will not pick up or test the animal for rabies. Species with high potential for rabies transmission (see list above) may not be taken to rehabilitators or relocated.    

Deer Diseases

Whirling Disease (Trout)

More info coming soon!


Call 866-318-2401

Monday- Friday 8am- 5pm


Seen a Sick Deer?

If you have seen or harvested a sick deer, please call your local District Biologist or the NC Wildlife Helpline at 866-318-2401 or 919-707-4011.

Signs to look for:

  • Isolation from other animals
  • Listlessness or showing little or no interest in their surroundings
  • Lack of coordination
  • Frequent lowering of the head
  • Blank facial expressions
  • Walking in set patterns    
  • Drooling and grinding of teeth
  • Drinking lots of water and increased urination
  • Low weight

For more information, see our Deer Diseases page.