Fallen Wildlife Enforcement

Since 1930, 11 officers have given their lives in service to the agency and to the conservation of North Carolina’s valuable wildlife resources.

Tab/Accordion Items

Wildlife Officer William A. Williamson

Wildlife Officer Williamson was fatally injured in an auto accident while enroute to assist a fellow officer.

End of Watch: December 4, 1985, Sampson County


Wildlife Officer Lloyd Neil Mayse

While attempting to arrest two suspects, Wildlife Officer Mayse was fatally shot.

End of Watch: Novmber 27, 1980, Northampton County


Troy Sigmon, Wildlife Enforcement Area Leader

Area Leader Sigmon suffered fatal injuries when the helicopter in which he was flying crashed while he was looking for baiting violations.

End of Watch: September 1, 1978, Columbus County


Dewie H. McCall, Wildlife Refuge Manager II

Wildlife Refuge Manager McCall was fatally shot in an ambush by a fisherman to whom he had issued a citation.

End of Watch:
September 5, 1971, Burke County

When enroute to a call, Wildlife Protector Edwards was fatally injured when his vehicle collided with a bus.

End of Watch: August 3, 1963, Between Onslow & Duplin Counties

Wildlife Protector Bordeaux was killed accidentally during what appears to have been target practice.

End of Watch: April 10, 1962, Sampson County

William G. Holler, Wildlife Protector

Wildlife Protector Holler was killed in an automobile accident while carrying out his law enforcement duties.

End of Watch: October 19, 1951, 
Mecklenburg County

Wildlife Agent Grover Quinn

Wildlife Agent Grover Quinn was killed in a vehicle crash near Thomasville, Davidson County, at approximately 11:30 am.

End of Watch: March 25, 1949, Davidson County

Game Protector Wright was fatally wounded by hunters during a license check.

End of Watch: October 31, 1948, Sampson County

It is believed that Game Warden Whitaker was fatally wounded by a person who had been using a spotlight to hunt deer.

End of Watch: November 15, 1936, Henderson County

Deputy Game Warden Hollowell died after being assaulted by two cousins, ages 18 and 20, outside the Chowan County Court House in Edenton. Deputy Game Warden Hollowell had just testified against them after charging them with fishing violations.

End of Watch: August 30, 1930, Chowan County