Disabled Access on Game Lands

The Disabled Access Program is designed to generally improve access for persons with disabilities on game lands. The Disabled Access Permit authorizes individuals with limited physical mobility to operate vehicles, including ATVs, on any Commission maintained road open for vehicular travel, trails posted for vehicular travel, and open-gated or ungated roads otherwise closed to vehicular traffic on certain game lands; and to have access to special waterfowl hunting blinds designed for hunters with disabilities.

The Disabled Access Permit will be issued a companion and vehicle access card. One companion may accompany the disabled hunter, provided that individual possesses the companion card. The Disabled Access Permit is valid as long as the qualifying disability persists. This permit is not a license. It does not authorize hunting, fishing, or trapping activities. There is no fee associated with this permit.

See table below for a list of game lands and designated areas within a game land for which this permit is valid.

More information on the NCWRC Game Land Program.


To obtain a Disabled Access Permit, a completed Disabled Sportsman Program application (PDF), along with competent medical evidence, must be submitted to the NCWRC indicating that a disability exists that limits physical mobility, to the extent that normal utilization of the game lands is not possible without vehicular assistance.

Within the national forests in North Carolina, off highway vehicles (OHVs) are permitted only on designated routes. Visit the US Forest Service's webpage for more information about areas managed by the U.S. Forest Service, including the Nantahala, Pisgah, Croatan and Uwharrie National Forests.